New Tank

Marine4Life

Copepod
Reaction score
Hi all

So im in the process of starting a new tank which will be 1.2m x0.6m x 0.6m.

I have all the neccessary equipment like skimmer, sump, lights, return pump etc.

What i would like to know is that im thinking of buying a phosphate, nitrate and carbon reactor. Which one would you buy first or are they all as important as the other. Is only 1 maybe required, or all?

Would like your input on this.

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Just get the phos reactor, the nitrate reactor isn't necessary unlesxyou run a heavy fish load, with a sensible approach to fish and feeding you won't need one. Carbon could be added to an empty external filter (loosely packed in a filter bag)

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
worth noting that the phos remover is at least 4 times more efficient than in an external filter.

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Just get the phos reactor, the nitrate reactor isn't necessary unlesxyou run a heavy fish load, with a sensible approach to fish and feeding you won't need one. Carbon could be added to an empty external filter (loosely packed in a filter bag)
I agree :thumbup1:

Marine4Life

Copepod
Reaction score
So it would be good to get a phosphate and carbon reactor.

Tell me for a 500l system, what is the prices that i would pay for these two reactors

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
to be honest, carbon is great, BUT, you could run it well enough in an external fitler - much cheaper than another reactor.