New Tank

Discussion in 'New Members' started by EbenRoets, 29 Dec 2014.

1. EbenRoets

EbenRoets

Morning everyone I joined the forum last night and I now need some help with the next couple of steps on how to set-up my own marine tank. I've seen allot of you tube videos on this but it's always better to get some expert advice. For a beginner like me what size tank do you recommend to start with as I only want to keep 4 to 5 fishes in the tank to see if I can handle and maintain it before I go any father.

Please could you assist where to buy these tanks, the better equipment, the best products like food, sea, salt etc. I do live in the South near east rand mall.

Thank you so much
    Regards
    Eben Roets

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dexter

Dexter

Hi @EbenRoets....Welcome to masa and to this awsome hobby....For most of us it's more than a hobby. It becomes a passion!!

Check out the classifieds section. Awsome tanks and accesories up for grabs. In all honesty it all depends on how much money you want to spend. Read as much as you can before deciding on a tank. If you do it right, you dont need a lot of money to start of. Ask as many questions as possible.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
    TaahirS likes this.
  4. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

Hi and welcome to masa!. I would suggest a standard four foot tank with a three foot sump. This gives you some freedom in what you can do. The bigger the tank the more stable the parameters, but it will also be more expensive. I don't live in joburg so I don't know where to buy things there.

reef addict likes this.
  5. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

Oh yes, check out the links in my signature

6. jono

jono MASA Contributor

welcome to Masa and welcome to this amazing hobby.

I agree with dexter check the for sale thread. I started off with a JBJ nano cube and within 6months I ugraded to a four foot and currently I am running three tanks. if you are only wanting to keep a small amount of fish like you stated then a nano or cube will be the best start. even look at the aquaria tanks they are great for beginners as they come with everything.

one note I will leave you with is research as much as you can, ask as many questions and never rush with this hobby as things take time to mature and stabilize.

good luck and enjoy this amazing hobby

7. Mr Smith

Mr Smith

Welcome to the forum

8. EbenRoets

EbenRoets Thread Starter

Evening all, I went shopping today and bought my skimmer. I am still very new to this entire hobby but very excited as the time progress and I collect all my items and equipment from time to time as it is very expensive to buy everything in one go. Does your skimmer go into the tank itself,meaning being fully submerged into the marine? I am doing allot of reading and research on building and setting up your own marine tank. So I have my skimmer now I think I bought quite a very decent one I will upload a picture and your input on my skimmer would be highly appreciated to as if I bought a good one or should I exchange it.

What is the next thing to purchase for my marine tank?
    Thank you for all your help.

9. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

First decide on the size of your tank. You might find the skimmer too small. It normally goes in the sump area.

10. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

please excuse my straight forwardness here but how did you buy a skimmer if you dont know where it goes or how its used? did the salesman not chat to you about it or you to him? and also ,if you doing lots or reading and research then how cant you know certain things..please bud i aint attacking you i just cant seem to sink certain things in here lol

TaahirS likes this.
  11. EbenRoets

EbenRoets Thread Starter

Hi TaahiS I have not yet decided on the tank size yet as I on,y want to start off very limited and small because I need to see if it will be successful for me to start with marine sea life. This might be a stupid question but where and what is the "sump" section?

I saw a marine tester kit for R1200 today that tests the most important levels, is it what they go for?

Thank you TaahirS

12. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

What brand was the test kit? And what exactly did it test?

You really first need to decide in size before buying a skimmer.

The sump is a tank underneath the main tank which houses all the filtration.

Keep reading and check the links :m116:

Last edited: 30 Dec 2014
  13. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

+
    see,like that...after lots of reading and research. as for the test kit and all equipment ,know what size,shape,style tank you want or getting then get those things accordingly ;)

14. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

15. EbenRoets

EbenRoets Thread Starter

Will post a picture later on TaahirS, thanks for your advice

16. EbenRoets

EbenRoets Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Here is my skimmer that I bought today, will this be sufficient?

17. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

It all depends on the size of the tank.

18. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

Just googled it, it's a boyu. Those skimmers are not for in the sump but rather hang on back. So basically they hang outside your tank.

19. birkettN

birkettN Nathan

@EbenRoets I suggest you do allot more reading before you continue purchasing any equipment

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
    reef addict and TaahirS like this.
  20. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

In my opinion that is a sub par skimmer and you could have spent your money much better. Unfortunately decent marine equipment comes with a high price tag and when people see a cheap skimmer for instance they think its a bargain. But you get what you pay for and that skimmer will not perform anywhere near as much as you would need.

A skimmer is decided on based on placement and tank size. So if you are buying equipment without a yank yet then you will very likely waste a lot of money since some stuff might not be adequate.

So step back, determine the size tank you want and what you want to keep in it livestock wise. Then start buying stuff that you will need to keep the livestock happy. At this rate you are going to lose money unnecessarily.

birkettN and TaahirS like this.
  21. reef addict

reef addict

ok you already bought a skimmer which is a vital piece of equipment. however the skimmer now dictates the size tank you can get. also find a friendly reefer that stays close to you.go check out his system and get an idea what a sump is and filtration wave makers flow pumps ect.. also look at your nano tanks? do you have space for the tank? also determines the size of the tank.. i so badly want to go bigger but cant due to space. if i could do things over i would start off with a 4 foot like suggested to you.. all the best and don't rush things be patient

Dexter and CharlieB like this.
Recent Posts