New Tank

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Ewald, 8 Apr 2013.

1. Ewald

Ewald

Hi, Starting up a new project with marine tanks, had koi for a number of years. But this marine sounds fantastic.

kind regards

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Welcome ewald. Hope you enjoy your stay.
    Just remember to read up as much as you can before starting.
    Also, plan everything in advance. Dont just buy on impulse, research the intem/livestock you want & make sure it can survive in your tank!
    Goodluck and you are always welcome to ask as many questions as you want!!!

4. Ewald

Ewald Thread Starter

Thank you Visser, I bought an 1.2m standard tank, protein skimmer and wave maker (going to get one more ). The hard decision is the filters. Like to get something that holds Carbon, Phosphate, Nitrate media and sponge, not doing a sump, looking for something external.

Must say, I had tropical fish for over 5 years, then about 6 years ago started ( have a 9000lt pond ) with koi fish. This was hard to get right. Now I started reading about Marine - my word this is involved, from your live sand and worms to smaller worms till organisms that eats the smallest peach of waste. Your live rocks and all the different shrimps and fish that helps CLEANING the tank.

Amazing.

Last edited: 8 Apr 2013
  5. Ayoob

Ayoob

:welcome:

Its a never-ending journey and you always learning.

6. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Jip, everything about marines are great! (And a lot more interesting than koi ponds, lol)
    If i can perhaps give some input on your tank.
    It would make your life a LOT easier if you drill the tank & add a sump.
    Sumps are where we hide everything that you do t want in the tank, eg. Skimmer, phosphate reactor, nitra-guard biocubes etc.
    You just need to remember that lot (most) of the beginner articles were written when older technology was still being used. Totay, we have a lot of excellent new products that really make marine keeping a breeze.
    An example of such products are orca labs, nitra-guard biocubes which is probably the best nitrate removing product in the industry. It keeps your nitrates & phosphates almost undetectable so you can focus more on the fun stuff. (& its a locally made product!)
    Led lighting have also almost completely replaced the metal halide & t5 flourescent lights & is a great saving on electricity.
    So whenever you want to implement something in your new tank, start a thread with your question & we will tell you what the best & easiest (cheapest) methods are.
    Here on masa, you dont have to be afraid to ask "dumb" questions either as all of us started out where you are now, so feel free to ask!

7. Dorry

Dorry dorry

masahello

8. the fish

the fish

masahello

9. Ewald

Ewald Thread Starter

Hi,

Thank you for the warm welcome. Yes, it does seem to be more interesting than keeping Koi. A lot more involved and interesting aspect to it. But I must say that the Koi experience does help, it's like taking water keeping to the next level. The wife was never really interested in my Koi but she is actually reading the articles about Marine.;)

I would like to go for the sump but this will not be possible due to no space and power cuts. So the filter is still not decided on.

The lights is the area were I have limited knowledge on, I learned about al the different colours we cant see etc.

What is best then, LED or florescent, how strong and how many.

The tank will be fish and reef.

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

As a newbie, I will get a secondhand light unit in the for sale section. T5 is more than capable for your initial needs.

11. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Hi & welcome @Ewald I see you not too far from me, If you need a hand please give me a shout.;)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  12. Wiley

Wiley

Welcome. Read read read and more read!!!! Good luck

13. Ewald

Ewald Thread Starter

Reading

Thank you, all this reading !!!!!!!

Fun though.

14. Ewald

Ewald Thread Starter

MistaOrange

Thanx Bud, I would like to see your lightning setup. If okay. This is the area I have read the most, I think I understand but still have no idea what to go for.

15. Ewald

Ewald Thread Starter

Hi,

I have over the last few weeks bought almost all of the equipment I need. But now I have to wait till the end of the month to get the last bits and ends. :( Maybe I should put the family on a diet for the month.:eek:

I will start to take pictures and ask advise as I start to connect and setup. I must say that yesterday I have build my own 20k and 14k LED light system which I am very proud off. The best part is that is was cheaper than even a small T5 set of lights. The first quote on the strip lights I wanted was R 3 344.00, I shopped around and bought the same lights etc. for R 1 083.00.

It consists of 2m 20 000k Aqua blue and 2m of 14 000k waterproof strip lights with waterproof drivers, took me almost the whole day but all worth it at the end.

I will post pics tomorrow.

Recent Posts