new tank

Discussion in 'New Members' started by albert, 30 Oct 2012.

1. albert

albert

My tank has cycled now, and it has 2 hermit crabs, it is a small jebo R338 35 liter tank with live sand and 3kg live rock, I would like to know how can I stock it with fish, a cuc, and what coral is good for such a small tank , thanks a lot, this would help alot

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Marine007

Marine007

Hi albert. Sounds great and you must be very excited to put some life into your tank.

Can I suggest you give us a bit more information - how long have your tank been cycling.
    Have you tested your water for ammonimum, nitrates, phosphates, etc? If you have give us the readings.

Also a picture is always woth more than a thousand words. Will give us an idea of the flow, scaping, etc.

4. albert

albert Thread Starter

The petshop said my tank is finished cycling, and that everything is reading 0 that's should, I can't post pics sorry but you can get the tank on google if you google Jebo R338 thanks

Salie likes this.
  5. Marine007

Marine007

albert - you will notice that people on this forum don't automatically trust the petshops. How long did your tank cycle?

In a small tank such as yours a small change can have a massive impact on the system's stability. So it is important to double check that the tank is ready.

It might be worth investing in a test kit so that you can test your water parameters yourself. It might seem daunting the first time, but you'll soon feel like a scientist and enjoy mixing and comparing colours. You'll have to regularly check your water parameters, especially in the beginning to make sure your tank is healthy.

For your tank you could look at adding a goby (some are suitable to small tanks) - I fancy the neon blue goby, but there are several small ones that you can consider.
    You can also look at cardinalfish - some types might work and also perhaps firefish.

Only add 1 fish at a time and I would guess you can't keep more than 2 (maybe 3) in a tank your size. Clowns (nemos) will probably not work in your tank. I'll let other members guide you with similar setups.

I know that it is very exciting to put fish in your tank, but I really would strongly suggest that you spend some time and effort double checking that your tank is ready, and rather spend the time researching the fish you want to consider.

6. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Hi albert, glad to hear your tank is finished with its cycle.
    You might want to consider adding max of 2 fish to the tank for now. Something like a occelaris clownfish or a clown goby.
    For a CUC, i would go with a cleaner shrimp, 1x turbo snail & one or 2 more hermits.

Does your tanks still have the standard lighting?
    If so, you might want to reconsider the keeping of corals until you have upgraded the lighting a bit. Unfortunately, the 16w of florescent light isn't enough to keep most corals...

You might want to try some of the easy mushrooms or some zoanthids. They are able to survive under less than perfect lighting.

Can you perhaps give some more detail about your tank? Skimmer? Pumps? Lights?

7. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Hi albert, glad to hear your tank is finished with its cycle.
    You might want to consider adding max of 2 fish to the tank for now. Something like a occelaris clownfish or a clown goby.
    For a CUC, i would go with a cleaner shrimp, 1x turbo snail & one or 2 more hermits.

Does your tanks still have the standard lighting?
    If so, you might want to reconsider the keeping of corals until you have upgraded the lighting a bit. Unfortunately, the 16w of florescent light isn't enough to keep most corals...

You might want to try some of the easy mushrooms or some zoanthids. They are able to survive under less than perfect lighting.

Can you perhaps give some more detail about your tank? Skimmer? Pumps? Lights?

8. Salie

Salie

masahello

9. Ayoob

Ayoob

welcometomasa

Salie likes this.
  10. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A very WARM WELCOME to MASA, Albert!

Recent Posts