New tank

So filling a tank is not something you quickly do on a saturday morning!

Wouterloosman:I did do a fresh water test & it went well,no leaks & overflow is much quieter with dusro.

Crispin:Thanks. I think so too! I plan on attaching wood to the stand to close up the sump area. Going to make a hinged flap of wood over skimmer to so that I can remove skimmer cup! Haven't really decided about hood/no hood,what do you guys think? I've come right with the standpipe thanks!

By the way, how do I quote someone?

So filling a tank is not something you quickly do on a saturday morning!

Wouterloosman:I did do a fresh water test & it went well,no leaks & overflow is much quieter with dusro.

Crispin:Thanks. I think so too! I plan on attaching wood to the stand to close up the sump area. Going to make a hinged flap of wood over skimmer to so that I can remove skimmer cup! Haven't really decided about hood/no hood,what do you guys think? I've come right with the standpipe thanks!

By the way, how do I quote someone?
Never mind,found the quote tab!:blush:

Def enclose the sump, it makes it a little more impracticle for your maintenece but it makes it far more attractive to others viewing your tank, especially those who dont know about marines and sumps. they just want to see pretty fishes (well ok they just want to see nemo). but do the cabinet in such a way that its easy to open (hinges) or magnets.

Hey All

So I'm busy filling the tank with R.O water, it's been filling non-stop since thursday night! My concern is that when I take a TDS reading I get a value of 17ppm but before I started filling the tank I took a sample & measured 4ppm! I this value acceptable?(17ppm) Please tell me it's acceptable otherwise I've wasted alot of time & money. What is the accepted standard for R.O water?

Thanks

65498f0c28e7054.png

looking good so far

My reading is 17ppm, I hope this doesn't mean I've wasted 3 days of filling the tank!

An acceptable TDS is less than 5ppm, with less than 3 being good. You did state earlier that your RO filter is second hand? I suspect that your RO membrane has become compromised and is "leaking" TDS. Do you have new sediment and carbon pre-filters?

A membrane is pretty expensive (+ R600.00) but it should be replaced every 2-3 years, better to do so now, if possible.

As for what to do with the water you already have... I would just keep it for the tank cycling, and then do a 100% water change with "proper" RO water (and salt, of course...) after your nitrite has dropped back to zero (4-5 weeks), THEN let it cycle for another 2-3 weeks before adding livestock.

Hennie

Is your RO water measuring 17ppm in your tank, or right out of the unit? If in your tank, is your aragonite substrate in the tank already? If it is, it could just be some dust particles on the aragonite and it shouldn't be anything to really worry about.

If it's right out the unit, then the membrane change, or the DI Resin change should be next on your to do list...

Just another thought - does your RO unit have a "mineral adder" or "re=mineralizer"? This is a smallish cartridge that fits in-line after the membrane. If so, then this is the cause of the higher than expected TDS, and should be removed, as there is no control over exactly what "minerals" are added back into the water.

Hennie

Thanks for the replys.

butcherman: Yes I am using a TDS meter. My R.O unit is the aqua marine 4 stage unit as sold by Dorrys'. I bought it second hand so I'm not sure how much it was used before.

reef maniac: I know the filter is less than a year old, I think it was purchased new in december last year. Is it possible that I must change the R.O membrane already?
What exactly makes up the ppm as measured by the TDS meter & what effect is 17ppm going to have on my system? I don't think it has mineral adder as it is a unit for marine use.

slagter: The tank is empty,just the new water in there. The water in the tank & the water from the unit give me the same readings. Strange thing is before I started to fill the tank I filled a bucket with R.O water from the unit & got a TDS reading of 4ppm! Which do I change first DI resin or sediment & carbon filters?

Same as the tank water 17ppm. Only difference between the sample I took before filling the tank & now is that I added longer pipes to reach the tank. Could this have made a difference to TDS reading?

Back
Top Bottom