New Tank

Reaction score
Hey all iv just started a new tank and it is now mature and ready o% Nitrites. But my lights will only be working in a week or so. Is it ok to put some fish in until then? Or should i wait. Tank is 550 L.:peroni:

hey stevie, welcome and congrats, hows the skimmer grafting now? it has been a few weeks already so if you are registering 0 on all the critical parameters like amonia and nitrite id say you can add a fish or 2, just be careful not to stock too quickly and watch your feeding routine

and we like alot of pictures here so if you need help posting pm me and i will assite

Skimmer

It's working like a charm now man. I have only been testing my Nitrites and Nitrates and they are fine. Been topping up water +- 1 litre a day with fresh water. going to maybe do a 50 L water change on the weekend. But otherwise looking good and going well. Will post some pics tonight to show you.Steve:thumbup:

Lekker boet . Try use RO water for top up being purer it helps starve algaes that use the nitrates and phosphates found in tap water. Eager to see the pics.

welcome steven, great to have you join.

can you ruin us through the make up of your system a little, what sort pof equipment do you have, how much LR etc, sounds like u are in good hands with Les there so it should be interesting to hear.

try get an RO unit, it realy will save you masses of issues later, even boiled water will give u issues in the long run :(

if the lights are coming in a week, then I would wait, a week is a very short time in this hobby, as long as they can see the food they will be fine, and are they safe from jumping without the hood.

i agree with magman wait for your lights

Welcome to MASA :)

Hey guys iv started a 600L tank been running for 7 weeks just put 2 clowns in and anemone. Only been topping up with tap water 22 litres now. what should i do to sort it out?

Steven, dunno the TDS of your tapwater, maybe Les can Elaborate more as he is From East London too, but it is not the end of days here. Problem with tapwater is that there are chemicals in it. I have also used it before and had no ill effects, but this is in my hometown. It is not recommended though as RO Water is the solution because of the Pure water.

What bothers me a bit though is that you mention that you have a Nennie in your system, and your system is way too young to host a Nennie.

Read the beginner discussions forum- there are a lot of threads wrt Anemones in a "new" system.

Welcome to the Forum Steve, good advise so far. Tap water is really not the answer.

Wrt the anemone in your tank- I have answered you on another thread. Just be careful, as your tank is way too young for this.

Give us some more specs on your setup. I have watched your pics you posted, but cannot make out too much.

One thing I did pick up is that is one huuuuuge sand bed you have in your DSB (Sump). You can take it down to about 150-200mm deep, as the bottom of the sand does not really do much towards your tank at such a depth. Oxygen does not reach that far down

Thanks. The guys at finny flipper pet shop said its fine to put a Nenie in. damn bud now you have mad me nervous. If it dies will it kill my whole tank? :eek:

Ok so should i take sand out my sump and put what? Is it bad the way it is? Can i take sand out now that i have fish in and my tak is running?

41154d24b4ada5320.jpg

I see now that your sump is only 300mm high, so to remove and disturb any critters, bacteria now, is not advisable. Thing is, even your sand looks "too" clean. Maybe I have it completely wrong here, maybe the Guru's must jump in and give advise, but for me, a 7 week old tank has not cycled properly yet and to put livestock in there is not recommended.....

GURU'S, where are you guys???????

Back
Top Bottom