New tank with algae

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by WINEGUMS, 28 May 2011.

1. WINEGUMS

WINEGUMS

Hi All

Hope you can help. My tank has been running for 6 weeks. In the last few days algae has started growing & seems to be booming rapidly!:( It really is spoiling what was a nice clean tank. On the rocks in places it looks like little green branches & on the substrate it just looks brown & dirty. Its growing on the glass & really is stubborn to clean off. I had no lights for the first four & a half weeks. Then I bought a light unit & started using it. Since then the algae has started growing. Is this a normal process for a new tank or has something gone wrong? If so what can I do? I've read a few threads on the matter but I'm not even sure what type of algae it is & there are very conflicting views on what I should do.

I am at work & haven't got the latest water parameters but will test when I get home. Last sunday when I tested Ammonia was 0,Nitrites were 0,Nitrates were at 0.2 & PH was at 8.1.

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

THe brown stuff on your substrate and glass is diotoms. Itll go away as your tank matured. Looking at your parameters you gave it looks like the cycle has finished. Have you recently added livestock. How you done a water change yet? Just use a magnet cleaner to clean your glass. Ive still got diotom blooms after 19 months. Its normal

4. FransSny

FransSny

What you are discribing sounds like GHA (Green Hairy Alge) and diatom bloom...part of the cycle in general , so not unexpected IMHO.

Your tests sound too good to be true , especially a new setup. Without sounding like an old record , what kits are yo using.

Both these "pests" are being fueled by nutrients in the water column, so finding that problem is the most important, not a quick fix

5. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

also what lights have you got in your tank. Are you using r/o water for top ups,have you got enough flow in your tank. ?

6. WINEGUMS

WINEGUMS Thread Starter

Charl: I'm going to do a water change today. 3 Hermits,3 snails & 2 Clowns(1 week ago).

Frans: I'm using Seachem test kits,haven't got much confidence in the results. Although I tested Nitrites using a SERA kit aswell & got the same result.

7. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

You added livestock so its normal to get diotom blooms. Your system(bacteria,etc) needs to catch up. Just do a regular water change and it should be fine unless something else is wrong. But I dont think so. I dont think you have got anything to stress about. What do you think Frans

8. FransSny

FransSny

Sorry I dont really know how accurate the Seachem tests are , I use Elos or Salifert but I can tell you that the Sera is waaaayyy off. So dont trust that reading (MHO)

I havent read through all your other posts so I am not familiar with your system but it sounds all normal to me .

Just keep on with good husbandry (regular WC , not overfeeding etc) and it should come right.

There are a lot of variables to consider , so start with the obvious.....ie light period, you dont have corals so you can shorten that, RO...good source or not etc etc

Good luck

9. WINEGUMS

WINEGUMS Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses guys. I am using R/O water for top ups. The light unit is an odysea unit from Dorrys. Will replace the tubes with better quality items in time.
    I've got one Seio power head in the tank,wanted to add another as funds allowed me to.
    So basically the system needs to catch up to the new bioload? In terms of bacteria & pods I'm assuming?

10. AndrévN

AndrévN

Good luck

11. WINEGUMS

WINEGUMS Thread Starter

Hi Max

As far as flow is concerned I've got a Seio M820(3200l/h) powerhead in the DT & the return pump from the sump(Hailea 6540). Wanted to add another powerhead to the DT as funds allowed. I've got a powerhead from one of those internal filters which I will add for the time being.
    I'm busy cleaning the glass at the moment,haven't tested the water yet. Will do when I'm finished cleaning & will post the results. Have you got any thoughts on the Seachem test kits? Thats what I'm using.
    I will do a water change tomorrow once the salt has mixed properly.(also Seachem)
    My Dt is 1.2m & sump is 1 m.(about 290l before L/R) Reeftek TS3 skimmer. Odysea light unit. 16 kg's L/R(half fiji & half kenya)
    The Kenyan rocks are together in the display & seem to be the worst affected.

Thanks for the reply

12. AndrévN

AndrévN

OK

13. IMarine

IMarine

Hey bra add some phosphate and carbon and test your param you want to get your mag to 1400 and kh 10 and cal 400 and ph 8,2-8,4 and by the way salifert test kits i will not trust,as i am still waiting for my pm from them,service not to good with salifert ,rather opt for sera test kits as there kh,mag,cal gives excellent readings as i tested them against seachem and the readings was the same as seachem, and what i will do is a good sifon sort your paramaters out as i said and put lights off for 7 days then you will see all algae gone

14. WINEGUMS

WINEGUMS Thread Starter

I thought phosphate was the problem? Does one add carbon in a filter? Should the tank be covered with something to make it dark or is the natural room light ok just leaving the tank lights off?

15. WINEGUMS

WINEGUMS Thread Starter

Max

The sump is divided into 3: first skimmer then DSB then return. Skimmer doesn't pull much from the water,usually only at feeding time. I clean it about every third day, not because its full but because it starts to smell bad. It did pull out the algae that I cleaned off the glass yesterday & the tank looked alot better after cleaning the glass & adding the extra powerhead. I didn't test the water yesterday after cleaning,too much rugby to watch & I'm at work again so I will test this afternoon.

The light unit has 4 54watt tubes,2 white(10000 lumens I think) & 2 actinics. The reflector is a flat plate. How long should I leave the lights off?

I will look into buying more L/R,a good powerhead & adding more members to my CUC. Should I add Seachem Stability or something like that to try & boost the bacteria. As I understand it this problem is due to a lack of bacteria & shortage of pods.

Thanks again for all your input:)

16. AndrévN

AndrévN

Phosphates is the problem and thats what we need to stop in your tank. One would buy activated carbon in pre=packed bags from your lfs - red sea max has ones i use.

NO give them correct advise please not half answers. Stick to what you have winegums regarding the test kit. Salifert is being used by myself and fransny and many others and they work well. If they get 10000 mails and they miss one why would they be bad. If you dont have corals YET why bother with calcium readings. Get your gha sorted first. Stick to basics you not that far in yet winegums just keep it simple for now my friend.

17. AndrévN

AndrévN

Ok so your sump is good. Ok but your bio load isn't that heavy yet so there wont be much for the skimmer to do. :tt2: And yes it does smell sometimes hehe bad having an open toilet LOL. Dont switch the lights off completely just cut back on the times they on buddy stick to less hrs for now so cut it by 3hrs a day less. Just remember there is NO iracle cures for anything in this hobby you must learn to take thing slow and fix the problems and that means assessing and finding the cure as there is no short cuts unless you want the problem to come back with a vengance. I told you movement is key, just stick to it find the dead spots and adjust the flow to sort this out until you can up it. You just save up to buy what you mentioned above and work from there. They say stability is good so yes add this moderately it wont work faster nor better if you overdose it might just make more trouble than doing your tank any good. So use it moderately but use it. No problem and im glad i saw your thread.

WINEGUMS likes this.
  18. WINEGUMS

WINEGUMS Thread Starter

Is it good to use & How do I use it?
    Thanks

19. crispin

crispin

I think Imarine meant you to add phosphate remover and carbon. Certainly id do the same, id use rowaphos and any good quality active carbon, preferably in a reactor.

it sounds to me that all you need for your tank to sort itself out is a little bit of time and after that a small clean up crew. drive the tank gently for a while, add in some carbon and some phosphate remover, if you can afford a power head, then increase the flow and let things ballance themselves for a while.

20. WINEGUMS

WINEGUMS Thread Starter

I will look into these suggestions. Seems there is no need to panic,tank just needs to stabilize. I suppose being new to the game causes us to stress quickly when things change. Luckily we have lots of help here on MASA.
    Thanks Crispin & others

21. crispin

crispin

youve had some good advice in this thread, go over it again. so often we want perfect pristine tanks, just as we as marine keepers picture it in our minds eye, but it rarely works like that with nature. its only realy after 1 year or 1.5years that tanks mature properly (and youve had lots of algae, bacteria outbreaks before then) and we can get them looking like we want from day one. being new makes one impacient, being experienced makes one a little more realistic in our abilities :)

Charl_Stanhope likes this.
Recent Posts