New Tank - What size glass do I use

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by silver phanton, 23 May 2009.

1. silver phanton

silver phanton

Hi guys,

Need some pro advice here.

The only piece of real estate that my wife will let me rent out is one that can hold a 4ft tank.

So I can go wider so I thought I'd go higher

Tank size is 1215?(4ft) long x 600mm deep x 800 mm height

800mm = 150mm for DSB in DT - 600mm clear water height= total water height/head of 750mm and 50mm with no water so Ihave space to play around with a CLS.

I dont know want any external pipes showing.

So here are the ????'s

1. What size glass thickness do I go for?

2. Can some one sketch out the bracing for me?

3. to hide the plumbing to I go C2C and use one as drainage and the other has return of do I go with centreal overflow and return

How much is this going to cost and I want to use just plain float glass as I dont know what is the price diff with the more expensive stuff.

and it will be 3 sides viewing...:006:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Due to the height, i think you should use 10mm glass, can't do sketch up stuff, but hopefully someone can help there.

4. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

5. ben lloyd

ben lloyd

we got lots of boffens on masa that fan make you some scetches but you will have to wait till after the weekend for them to lock on,but have a look at the calclations that henny give you there you can work out your glass thickness of your tank i had a gou looks like 12mm to be save.

6. silver phanton

silver phanton Thread Starter

thanks guys

7. silver phanton

:thumbup:

8. silver phanton

I tried playing around with it but still not sure how to wk it ?

wat safety factorshould i go 4?

9. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

I take it you are trying to save money on the tank. FWIW you will only save about 20% on the eventual cost of the tank. On a tank of the size you spec that will be a saving of about R380.00. Consider, is it worth all the hassle, time and effort, and what if something goes wrong.
    IMO get a pro tank builder to do the job. You will save in the long run.

10. Reef Maniac

Just use what's recommended in the calculator - 3.8

IF the tank wil be supported on a rigid (concrete) support underneath the whole of the bottom slab, you can use the same thickness glass as for the sides. If the tank will stand on a "normal" angle iron or wood frame stand, then use the recommended thicker bottom glass.

Keep in mind that the thickness of the glass is *mostly* influenced by the height of the water in the tank, as it is the height (depth) of the water column which exerts the pressure - ask any diver...

Here are two examples of the calculations, the second one using your stated dimensions, but allowing for a 30mm "free bore" between the water surface and the rim of the glass.

[​IMG]

In the second (bottom) part of each calculation, I reduced the side glass thickness to 12mm, and the calculator then gives an actual safety factor of only 2.3 fot the side panes. So, even with 12mm glass, this is getting pretty dicey... the tank won't burst if you just fill it, but if it is even slightly out of level, and one of the kids happen to bump into it whilst playing (or you lean on the edge too heavily whilst cleaning the tank, or ... fill in whatever abnormal loading scenario you like ... then there's precious little between a nice display and a very wet floor (and likely killing those expensive fish and corals...)

[​IMG]

I would recommend that you don't take any chances - either use the recommended thickness of glass, or reduce the height untill you have a safety factor of at least 3.0

Hennie

11. silver phanton

thanks Reef

I was getting this tank dude to do it for me and he was talking of using 8-10mm thats why I asked.

The tank stand will be square tubing and then 12-18mm ply as the tank platform.

I will play around till I get a SF 3

12. silver phanton

now guys what do your'll think - C2C or center overflow

13. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

I was slightly surprised by the glass calculator sizing, the glass required seemed much thicker than i have ever seen used in tanks, does the calculator take bracing in to consideration or is it just for rimless/braceless tanks.

14. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Here is a pic of my last tank, 5ftx3ftx2.5ft high, in 12mm glass, note the bracing...

[​IMG]

15. silver phanton

Thanks Mike, thats the part that suprised me cos I mostly here of guys running 10 to 12mm

16. silver phanton

How tall/high is your tank in the pic?

17. silver phanton

reply oop's only now saw the tank size

18. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Yep, me too, i had this tank professionally made by a well known and highly respected tank maker in the UK, so i can't see him undersizing the glass - he also made my pal's 8x2x2 in the same way using 12mm glass and it's still going strong 4 years later.

19. Reef Maniac

Well, Mike, doing a quick metric conversion, your tank height is approximately 750mm. Judging by the photo, the water level will then be at approximately 700mm. I did not run the calculations through the calculator, but it looks like this is approximately the same size as SP's proposed tank, and with a 700mm water height the calculator gives a safety factor of 3.1 with 12mm glass - which is still quite safe, IMHO. There is thus no big difference from your tank, at least as far as the side panes go :whistling:

No, as far as I know the calculations are for an unbraced tank, but I would consider the bracing to be just that - extra insurance. I'm always amazed that people would skimp on the inherent safety of their tanks by going for the thinnest glass possible, yet spend nearly double (or even more...) on something like a skimmer, which is not nearly as important a piece of equipment as the tank itself... If that tank breaks or leaks (for whatever reason), the cost to save the inhabitants if possible, or to replace them if they all die, is usually many times the cost of the empty tank - and then we're not even talking about the cost of the carpets, furniture, wood work, etc. that would be damaged by a burst tank. Ask me, I've been there :(

Hennie

20. silver phanton

thanks for the feedback Reef, I was not looking for the cheapest option but trying to make sure that the guy is not selling me the cheapest thing

21. Reef Maniac

Oh, I realized that - apologies if it sounded like a flame, but it was just a general remark, not aimed at you or Mike...

Hennie

Recent Posts