NEW tank... upgrade advice PLEASE?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by wors143, 22 Jul 2009.

1. wors143

wors143

Hello all. Just came back from leave been away for a week lost some fish while away.... POOR little tropical buggers did not make it... MARINE are all doing well and fighting fit no issues there... who said MARINE was difficult. anyway getting rid of the tropicals and concentrating on Marine due to space. I currently have a 35 litre setup for Hermits and liverock and a 100 litre setup with Liverock and fish.

My new tank I am having made will be a 4 ft extended hight and depth dimensions 1220 lenght 800 deep and 1000 in height. What i would like to know is what lighting is required as i am planning to get some soft corals

regards

paul

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sentari

Sentari

Welcome!

Just a concern with the height. Always make sure that you will be able to get into the bottom of a tank like that. Suggested height is usually 600mm. Also if you housing corals and stuff that need light you might battle with that also.

But ask away! Good luck Paul!

4. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi Paul,

I really advise you to NOT go for that depth.

I have a 750mm deep tank, and i am well over 6ft..... I can't reach the back of my tank, not a hope....

I would advise ABSOLUTE max of 70cm depth not more.

some of the conns are

Lighting.... you will battle to effectively illuminate (in terms of coral requirements) anything much deeper than 55cm ....

Your reef will be low in comparison to the height of your tank (and will look doff)... then you will have to do what i did and built a rock stand just to get the height you are looking for (and get the corals into a zone where they will get enough light!!

you will likely get deap spots in the flow of the tank, causing detritus traps and algae growth

you wil REALLLLLY struggle to keep the glass clean

Also with that height the cost of the tank will increase as will all other components esp lighting.

For lighting .... depends on your budget .... in a 700 deep tank i would suggest a combination of 2 x 250W MH and 4 54W T5's for colour.

Last edited: 22 Jul 2009
  5. Tony

Tony

I'm with Neil on the lighting

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Get yourself a snorkel and goggles.:)

7. wors143

wors143 Thread Starter

Thank you all for the advice. going to reduce the height to 750 and depth of 650 x 1220 in lenght. Got the finishes done in Cherry wood collecting on SUNDAY!!!! OLEH.... like a little kid waiting for my new toys. Will run the setup for a week or so with liverock and then slowly transfer livestock across from the existing 100 litre tank. Or can I go ahead and move everything across in on go

8. Sentari

Sentari

ummm your new tank wouldnt have cycled yet. I wouldnt suggest doing this all in one go. Guys can anyone back me up on this?

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Depends, are you going to use the same sump?
    Are you moving the LR as well.
    And what water will you be using.

My new tank, I cycled for a week with water from water changes on two other tanks. With some LR directly from old tank. Added flakes to feed the copepods and bristle worms. Then I moved tanks, but kept the same sump. Moved all rocks and livestock over. Everything from old to new system except the DT substrate was new.

10. Sentari

Sentari

Personally a sump from a 100lt tank will not be able to support that huge new tank. I would replace that also. I'm just looking out for you stuff!!!

Recent Posts