New tank specs- What do you guys think?

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Gustav, 9 Sep 2010.

1. Gustav

Gustav

Hi guys and gals

I'm new in the marine arena. I surfed the web for months before starting and I hope I have got most of it covered in my new tank. I set it up about 2 months ago. Its a standard 2 foot tank with canopy. Got 2 small internal filters(280l/h and 300l/h) in and a resun in tank skimmer. Also the heater and airpump with the airstone etc. Started off by adding some 2kg of liverock and used Prodac marine salt. Got my salt and everything up to 1.024. Started to cycle my tank for a month and adding liverock as I got some new pieces. After 2 weeks my amonia droped to 0. After 3weeks I added 2 hermit crabs and after a month i added 2 percula clowns (small). And last week I recieved a frag of blastomussa and a piece of torch coral with 3 heads. So a upgrade in lighting was needed. I bought a super bright 18w flurecent of about 6500kelvin and 2 6500kelvin 14w energysavers and a 14w actinic coral light. Everything looks happy and healhty at this stage. The toches are extending fully and the mussa is lookinf nice and plump with bright red and the green mouth. Don't have test kits yet but did test my water at a petshop and the nitrates were under 0.2. Got the brown algae/diatoms now for about a week and a half but is slowly making place for green algae. Some hair algae is appearing but nothing major. What do you guys think? Small I know but its the best I can do for now. Will upgrade in the future. Oh and I'm using distilled water for chages and topups as I'm still trying to find out whre to get RO water at a good price in bulk

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Drk

Drk

Welcome to Masa

Do you have pics

4. Gustav

Gustav Thread Starter

Thanks
    Not yet but will definitly get some up at one stage

5. Scatmansworld

Scatmansworld

Welcome to MASA

sounds like you off to a good start.:thumbup:

6. Gustav

Gustav Thread Starter

Was just hoping someone could help me out and tell me if my lighting is good enough or what? No soft corals just the blasto and torch.

7. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Try to post pictures for us, that will help a lot to see if the corals are happy with it. Rather put a small powerhead inside the tank and point it upwards to move the water surface, that will help with good gas exchange. Get rid of the airstone - it will cause you endless hassles with salt creep (when salt water splash against something and the water evaporates, the salt stays behind).

8. Gustav

Gustav Thread Starter

Thanks. I have been noticing that but it wasn't to bad. My skimmer is shit but at least its helps with the airation

Recent Posts