New tank setup advice required

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by PeterAmos, 24 Mar 2014.

1. PeterAmos

PeterAmos

So from years of fresh water and planted tanks I'm crossing over to the dark side and running a salt water!! :blush:
    So I take delivery of my 2.4m marine tank in 3 weeks time. Its second-hand and full of fish and equipment. I'm transporting it about 100km. My question, how do I set up the sea water, there is also a thing called a Kalkwasser Stirrer. So I don't wana loose the fish lol. Can I transport a small amount of sea water to kick start the cycle, is it safe, or use some of the old ware from the tank. Here is a list of equipment. Any advice how to set up the tank for the safety of all the fish. Do I need to cycle the water at home in an old tank before bringing the fish across?
    Automatic RO water filler
    Kalkwasser Stirrer
    Large Opus Skimmer
    T5 Aqua Medic Lights
    4 Circulating Pumps
    1 Return Pump
    Live Rocks & Substrate
    Large Sump
    Sorry for all the questions.:)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

See if you can use as much old water from the system as possible. Try to get one of those 1000L flow bins. IBC drums. Just image google "IBC"

depending on the number of fish, and if you can keep them in another suitable tank, I would try to move them a day or week earlier. Less to do on the day of the big move.

4. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

If transporting all the livestock and keeping most of the water (>70%), chances of losses will be minimized.
    The liverock can be transported moist, if there are any encrusting coral on some pcs, transport in buckets with water.
    In the interim, get some water, and mix the quantity you estimate will be lost in the moving process, you can count on about 30%, but factor in a safety margin and have 40% on hand.
    To further lessen the impact, try get some mature / cured liverock (rock which has been in a system for a while) and place this rock in the containers you are keeping slat water in.
    This is quite a volume if water to be transported, but well worth the effort.
    Forget about the kalkstirrer initially, prioritise getting water ready, organising containers for water transport and ensuring you have enough electricity points that can handle the load where you intend placing the tank when it arrives. Also ensure you have a perfectly level floor which can handle the weight.
    Fish can be transported in buckets, ensure enough water in each bucket and ensure the buckets have enough air between lid and water if you are going to close the buckets.
    Better not to, depending on the road you are travelling, 25 L bucets left open and half filled with water works well.
    A few battery operated airpumps as backup would always be a good investment, just in case for the move and always a good to have.
    Best would be each fish in its own bag with air as when u buy from an LFS.
    Set aside at least three days for the move and setup.

5. PeterAmos

PeterAmos Thread Starter

Thanks, I might make a trip a week earlier, I have another large empty tank that I will fill and try cycle with his live rock, and lots of his old water???? then put the fish there whilst setting up the new tank. ?? Poor fish, lol

6. PeterAmos

PeterAmos Thread Starter

Thanks great advice, I would like to have as little set up issues so I will use all his live rock etc. There are a lot of noonoos in his sand bed in his sump. Can I keep the sand bed intact with a little water? will these things help?

7. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Moving a sandbed in tact is always risky. Can be done, but the important thing is that it must not be disturbed to the point where lower layers are reached, ie below the first two cm.
    If you going to move it in tact, with a little water above it, the water movement / small splashes from the trip will suffice as gas exchange. A battery operated air-pump will give even further reassurance.
    First prize would be to move the sandbed in tact, as this will ensure a lot less stress on the system as a whole, assuming the previous owner ran his sandbed correctly and that it has not been a nutrient factory.
    If not possible, remove sand, wash well with clean seawater and restart once sump is in position.

Last edited: 24 Mar 2014
  8. PeterAmos

PeterAmos Thread Starter

Thanks again. I will try move it intact, not much to loose in trying. Its getting all the fish etc in without needing the big cycles ASAP and with as little stress. Hence as much of the water, sand, live rock as I can would help. Seems like a lot of fish so that wont help I guess.

9. PeterAmos

PeterAmos Thread Starter

Recent Posts