New Tank Project

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by MikeR, 6 Apr 2009.

1. MikeR

MikeR

Hi all,

So roughly 3 months after I first started out with my Nano, and Im getting itchy feet again. I know I know, you all warned me it was addictive ... Damn it Im hooked.

Anyway A friend has offered me his tank (for a damn good price) it is 1500x750widex850 deep(water level is 750). It is 10mm glass open top (with a brace) includes a steel stand and a similarly sized sump tank as well (6mm glass)

So I intially resisited the temptation but have now all but succumbed. I do have a problem that I am happily unhappily married, and wifey will not accept anything in the house which is not easy on they eye?

My idea is to have a custom cabinet made to hide the sump and stand and also to house a canopy to hide the lighting so that it looks like one biolt in complete kit.

Than I started thinking , at the end of all that and the cost, perhaps I should look at a plug and play complete kit like the RED SEA MAx250 or the aqua medic range- assuming theyu even availbale here..

My thinking being I may sacrifice a bit in terms of size, but it would get the bosses approval alot quicker?

So any advice on the system advantages and disadvantages would be much appreciated. If anyone knows where I could get a cabinet made I would also be grateful.
    Look forward to the feedback
    Mike

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Warr7207

Warr7207

Sounds like a great project.

Going need some serious lights for that water depth.

Custom built tanks can get quite pricey.

4. lIghty

lIghty

Hi MikeR..... Didn't take long did it.:lol:

The RedSea Max will be avail. soon from what I've heard.

Disadvantages of a "plug and play" unit is if you not happy with something about the tank it is normally not possible to change it, as the are normally all-in-one and designed like that, where as a DIY can be changed as and when required, however saying that, the RedSea max does look quite impressive though......

The thing is like you have stated, costs can esculate rather quickly, were as a PnP unit is all done and looks awesome.

5. MikeR

MikeR Thread Starter

Agreed, i must confess I like the look of the 250 max, and think it will be easier to swing- also the tank im looking at is mammoth- almost 900 litres vfor a relative novice... was doing a rough cost estimate and Im in for a hell of a ride on a tank that size- any idea who would stock the red sea stuff- maybe worth waiting for and then comparing?
    i think red sea prob be over priced but it is convenient..
    Warrr you are right gonna need some serios lights- Rob at idol marine suggested 6 t5s about a metre long- I think- not sure of exact specs and terminology...

Any other "complete kits" worth considering?

Thanks for the comments

6. Matt

Matt MASA Contributor

The RedSea Max 250 is RIDICULOUSLY priced! Anyone buying one could have a MUCH MUCH nicer custom tank for less.

PLUS 900 litres is PERFECT for a novice, the more water there is the more likely chance any mistakes you make will be diluted!

I also liked the Redsea and other all in one tanks but trust me you will get itchy feet again, only this time you won't have any cash for an upgrade after the max 250 drained you!

7. Ross

Ross

You have the option of involving the wife in the design of the new tank. I think the more involved the lady in your life is, the lest she feels left out and will be more responsive.

If you want custom, you have to talk to Adriaan at Idol Marine, his tanks are out of the world and when you see the sump you will want it on display.

Recent Posts