New tank owner

Reaction score
please can anyone help me
I have just got a tank and want to what type of fish or prown or anything
I should get

For anyone to assist you, please supply us with a full tank spec. Size, how long it has been running, what equipment you are using etc.

You need to wait at least another 20 days then test the Parameters to ensure it’s safe for live stock.

You can put in a clown fish, gobies, blennies, chromis, Anthias etc... shrimp, crabs, starfish and various corals if you wish.

Last edited:
Where do you recommend to buy those because where I got the tank does not have a lot stock or does any one do delivery on those because I’m in bloemfontein

Where do you recommend to buy those because where I got the tank does not have a lot stock or does any one do delivery on those because I’m in bloemfontein

A few places deliver, check the sponsor section.

@Kylelam do you have any idea on what the guys above are talking about? I just get the idea that it was a spur of the moment decision on your part. You bought the tank and now just want to add fish. Unfortunately this hobby does not work like that.

Do you have any idea on what the water parameters should be and what yours are at the moment?
Do you know what a tank cycle is and why it is important?

Last edited:
@Kylelam we all start somewhere. First you need to decide, do you want to keep live rock and fish only, or do you want to go reef tank. Read a lot about your chosen tank type, and make sure to cycle your tank properly. Nitogen cycle can be found in millions of articles on google. Try and do the fishless cycle, no harm done to animals. From there you can start thinking about livestock. For fish only you can go for a larger variety of fish, for reef, the choices are limited, due to the fact that some fish will eat corals and invertrebates . Keep on reading, learning and asking. Here are some seriously nice peeps on here as well, that will always help beginners.

Where is the sponsor section
I use to be in Bloem myself, and had a great reef tank there. I still know two great reefers that stays there, that will gladly assist you. They are not on this forum.

@Kylelam we all start somewhere. First you need to decide, do you want to keep live rock and fish only, or do you want to go reef tank. Read a lot about your chosen tank type, and make sure to cycle your tank properly. Nitogen cycle can be found in millions of articles on google. Try and do the fishless cycle, no harm done to animals. From there you can start thinking about livestock. For fish only you can go for a larger variety of fish, for reef, the choices are limited, due to the fact that some fish will eat corals and invertrebates . Keep on reading, learning and asking. Here are some seriously nice peeps on here as well, that will always help beginners.

It’s going to be reef because I have some live rock put in and have starting on the cycle
Just one more questions how do you know when is the cycle complete
Is there a standard guideline and where I can get that
Also the guidelines on different species

Hi @Kylelam, here is a website that can help you check which fish is easy to keep which is not, which is compatible and which not. This is not a guideline but it does let you have an idea of will the fish fit in your tank with the tyes of coral and other fish you like to keep.

One of the best things to do but not the easiest is to take things slow when it comes to adding live stock, specifically if you are new to the hobby and your tank is not 100% cycled.

Back
Top Bottom