New tank in planning phase

Reaction score
Hi, I am planning a new tank 2100mm x 1000mm (w) x 650mm (h)

I intend to stock the following fish.

20 x Talbot damsels
1 x yellow tang
1 x purple tang (If I can get hold of one)
1 x Naso Literatus
1 x Fire goby
1 x Purple or Magnificent Fire goby
1 x Blue Tang (Paracanthurus hepatus)
1 x Powder Blue Surgeon
1 x snowflake moray

6 x cleaner shrimp
2 x pepperment shrimp
various snails and an urchin or two

The corals will mainly be sticks. I intend to do a 2.4 x 1m wide skylight, supplimented by 4 x 80w T5's (Actininc)

Flow will hopefully be 2 x 40 000lph Polario's

Will this fishlist work and what else do I need to consider.

Any comments and critique are welcome

wow this sounds great!lekker width!what skimmer you gonna be using Wikus?by the way,you stayed in Windemere a few weeks back and didnt even visit :nono:

Wow, sounds a great size, i'm looking forward to seeing the progress on this.

Possible considerations, rather than just two large powerheads, maybe four or five smaller ones to give a much more even flow around all the tank (or maybe i'm missing the point and these are for a closed loop?) and let the tank settle down and add the powder blue last, or near the end, and lastly would the smaller fish be safe with the moray? he may see them as lunch unless they are to be added before him

wow this sounds great!lekker width!what skimmer you gonna be using Wikus?by the way,you stayed in Windemere a few weeks back and didnt even visit :nono:

Hi, I'm planning on 2 x Reeftek TS3's. Nope was'nt me that stayed at Windmere. I'd love to see your cube IRL.

Snowflake morays are not that prone to catching fishes, especially if kept well fed (Something I very much intend to do). The Polario's will be on a closed loop. The reason for 2 is pump failure. If a pump fails, I do not want to be left without water motion.

This tank will also have a 2000mm x 600 x 600 sump with DSB and natural filtration. Although I plan to use skimmers, they will not run 24hrs per day. I want to try and see how far I can get with natural filtration. If the need be, I'll reduce the fishload.

I hope to put the google sketch up design up by the end of the week. I'm also working on diffrent aquascaping layouts in bryce

Okay slight change in tank size. Wifey wants the tank higher. So I'm looking at a tank +- 850mm with water level at 800mm. What glass thickness would be right for this height? 19mm?

this is a moerse tank man, don't know the glass with, use the glass calculator on the home page to calculate.
going to follow this thread closely.
good luck

The glass calc suggests 18.7mm :p My only issue with the glas calc is the bottom glass. The wider I make the tank the thinner the glass for the bottom becomes.....

My only issue with the glas calc is the bottom glass. The wider I make the tank the thinner the glass for the bottom becomes
the thickness is based on pressure...by making the bottom wider the weight of the water is spread over a larger area, thus decreasing the pressure and allowing for thinner glass.
Is 18.7mm for the sides or the bottom?

the thickness is based on pressure...by making the bottom wider the weight of the water is spread over a larger area, thus decreasing the pressure and allowing for thinner glass.
Is 18.7mm for the sides or the bottom?

Thanks for the explanation. The 19mm is the sides. I have to get 25mm for the bottom, but 'm looking at using 19mm and a perfectly level stand with no, and I mean no sag(deflection).(if that is the correct term)

good luck let us know how much the glass are going to cost you, think this will rob your pocket a bit.
and you will need a moerse strong frame too, are you going to make one out of steel or bricks?

Back
Top Bottom