New Tank Ideas help please

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Travis1, 15 Nov 2011.

1. Travis1

Travis1 (wilsontravy)

Hi all. am looking at starting a marine tank. i dont want anything to big. the bigger the more expensive. this is what i was thinking. looking at a display tank of 600l by 600 w b 450 h. thanks Mekaeel for the idea. but now, i have always wanted to inc-operate a frag/quarantine tank. now the idea would be to have a display tank, underneath that the quarantine tank, and then sump on the floor. all in a line, but at diff levels. has anybody attempted this? or has done this before? yes the tank stand will be a little higher, as well as the quarantine tank and sump will be a little smaller in size as compared to the display.
    any ideas? guidence?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Evo R

Evo R

You should never have a quarantine tank conected to your main tank. Any diseases ect will infect your other Live stock. The whole purpose of a quarantine tank is to isolate the new/sick fish from your main tank.

Then yes you can have multiple tanks stacked on top of each other, all sharing the same sump.
    I would say go for a 65x65x50 DT, and then use std 2ft tanks for frag tanks and then have a 60x60x30/40 sump.

4. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

It is possible, but your display tank is going to have to be really high to accomodate a decent sized quarantine tank and sump underneath it.
    Rather have the quarantine tank elsewhere to allow more working space under the tank.
    You cant ahave a joint frag and quarantine tank. At some point youll need to medicate the quarantine tank, something that cant be done if you have corals in it.

5. Travis1

Travis1 Thread Starter (wilsontravy)

thanks for the info. i just did not want to have a complete separate system as well for the quarantine tank.

a quarintine tank, what size would you recommend? 2 foot? the problem i have is that i did not want people to see the quarantine tank at all.

6. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

7. rakabos

rakabos

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. Braco

Braco

9. Travis1

Cool. Thanks for the replies guys. Now next question. Tank builders in durban? Anybody have contacts etc?

10. Travis1

what equipment should i get? skimmer, return, lights etc. just want to keep softies and a few fish.

11. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Is this more or less (obviously just smaller) what you had in mind?
    [​IMG]

Stand is 1.1m high. Its makes for an awesome viewing height but working in the tank is very difficult.
    On the floor is the sump, and middle shelf from left to right is the RO reservoir, QT and frag tank. Frag tank is fed with its own feeder pump and it just returns back into skimmer chamber. QT is on its own.

Your biggest problem is going to be a qt and a frag tank. Unfortunately you dont have the space like I do so I would suggest make a frag tank. The QT is not going to be in use all the time, so for the odd fish that you add you can quarantine it somewhere else.

Last edited: 15 Nov 2011
  12. Travis1

thanks bro. what size is ur tank? awesome set up you have there. thats what i was thinking of doing. thanks for the pic.

13. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

No problem. Display is 1.5 X 0.6 X 0.7, Sump is 1.2 X 0.45 X 0.45

Recent Posts