New Tank Idea, Please Help.

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Raboebi, 19 Aug 2012.

1. Raboebi

Raboebi

Hi Guys,

Been a rough week for me trying to figure out what tank I want to buy. I am on a budget of under R6000. Not only that space is also a bit of a factor, so my idea is to create a nano tank that can stand on a desk. So I don't have so many choices. But here is what I have for now:

ADA Cube Garden 60x30x36 Starphire Tank
    Reef Octopus BH-1000 Hang on Back Skimmer
    Reef Octopus MF-300b Beginner Multi Media Reactor
    2 x Seio 320 Powerheads

Jager Heater
    Sand and Liverock
    I would like to keep 2 Black and White Clown Fish, some Blue Legged Hermit Crabs and some Cleaner Shrimp.

What do you guys think? I was playing with the idea of maybe swapping the Multi Media Reactor out with a Reef Octopus 14 Hang on Back Refugium.

I am a complete noob so any advice would be very very welcome.

Thanks

Rabz

Last edited by a moderator: 19 Aug 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jayceew

Jayceew

Good start so far.

I would keep the media reactor as it might be more important in such a small tank to focus on filtration instead of the refugium. You have enough space in the tank for nice liverock, with the livestock you plan to keep a refugium wont be a necessity in my opinion.

Last edited: 19 Aug 2012
  4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Cube means a square footprint (normally). Is this ADA cube 60cm long, 30 cm front to back and 36cm high? Extremely narrow for nice rock placement. But can work if that shallow.

Anyway 6000 for such a small tank is a bit much. Their was some nice TL550 nano cubes in the for sale section the last couple of weeks. Maybe spend some time there.

5. Goby

Goby

Rather look at getting yourself a cube, maybe 500x500x500 or 600x600x500. Will advice you to get a sump running with that and a internal skimmer(TS1 Skimmer is a cheap and good option). Hangon skimmer will spoil the view.

You can also look at sunsun powerheads. 3000 or 5000lph depending on the flow needed for the corals you want to keep. They are cheap and work great.

With 6K you can get something better (size wise) than a ADA and hangon skimmer. Also check the for sale forum like raainp said.

Good LUCK!! & don't be hasty now!

Last edited: 19 Aug 2012
  6. Raboebi

Raboebi Thread Starter

@RiaanP - Yes the tank is 60cm long, 30cm and 36cm tall.
    @Goby - Looks like the Dorry Cube Special is the best deal on the market at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. Reefhead

Reefhead

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I'm in Centurion, more than welcome to come around to my place and chat.

Anyway, the complete Cube from Dorry, is a good start, as everything is there. Make a breakdown of all equipment and you will see that it is a good price.

But to start off with, a old secondhand tank is OK, cheap flow pumps are 100%. I would go for a descend size secondhand, at least a 1.2m tank and sump. Run that for a year and learn how to keep a tank stable. From there you can upgrade or downgrade to your dream tank.

I see a lot of guys getting out of this hobby in the first year. Mostly due to starting wrong on day 1. Struggle with tank maintenance and algae takes over, too much hassle and work, or just plainly the wrong or inadequate equipment.

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

and yeah, the tank that Reefhead got for sale is nice. I would change the sump layout though.

I like a DSB, especially for beginner systems as it is a lot cheaper. DSB does take longer than a NP reactor to be operational, but in that is the golden rule of Marines. If you cannot wait for a DSB to mature, then you are starting of wrong. Patience, patience is the key to keeping a successful system.

And I would take out that white polystyrene under the display. Replace with black closed cell foam. A lot less distracting and does not break apart as polystyrene.

Recent Posts