New tank..Highveld Cycle race 94.7 hours:)

Reaction score
I hestiate to post this now. I can hear those pic hunting mods and forum addicts asking for pics already, once i get my digital cam back i will post, and soon, i promise:)

Ok i have finally set up my new tank. LikesFish i am sure you would be chuffed to see it. 4 sides viewing which is a risk as u see the open back of the sump, but that has my couch up close covering that. A little noisey gurgling in your ear as you watch tv, but that just means i got rid of the TV. Priorities after all! Also a few mods needed to the hood to stop light shinning back and down, but i'll get to that.

Its a 1800x600x650 buildt into stand of dark cherry oak. 680l tank volume with 50kg aragonite substrate, which i will add play sand of about 150kg to run a DSB in tank eventually.

I have about 60kg mix of Bio rock and LR (not sure of the type) with lots of soft (yes i tickled a few of them:)) things on it (i'll get to pics!) and a few blue mushrooms growing. I am working on the aquascaping and will post another thread for ideas, once i have a few pics.

Down stairs is far more fun. :)
First chamber I have about 20kg LR, second chamber i have a Deltec AP851 skimmer. Skimmer is a slight problem as i can only get the bubble collum half was up the neck or flooding the cup, but maybe that will change with a bio load in the tank?

I have a Elheim return pump (delightfully silent thing:)) and two Resun wave 1500 in the tank, a third to follow shortly.

Still waiting for my T5's and cant remeber the watts, but its 2 pairs 1 blue and one white.

As i am starting with FOWLR and then move into the sps/lps later i will upgrade lights when i need.

Now to get through the 94.7 cycle race:) and make use of my test kits:)

I hestiate to post this now. I can hear those pic hunting mods and forum addicts asking for pics already, once i get my digital cam back i will post, and soon, i promise:)

Most phones have cameras:whistling:

Sounds Good.
You must remember some of us can't read :blushing:so we dooooo need thous pic's;)

Yeeehaaaaaa Where are the pics already???????

Crispin sounds like a damn nice setup there, good going man:thumbup:

Did I mention we want pics?:D

u want a phone, get a phone, u want a camera get a camera....my phone does not have a cam:) but cannon service agents have been crapped on so u will get pics soon:)

i do confess to having spend over 4 hours and several beers staring at LR last night, in the dark with only candles on.....this tank is turning out to be great fun:)

i do confess to having spend over 4 hours and several beers staring at LR last night, in the dark with only candles on.....this tank is turning out to be great fun:)
Mwhahaha Indeed it is great, get yourself a little led torch, (the little keyring MagLite) makes it even more interesting.

One word of caution, do not wake all the non reefkeepers in the house to show them the new worn you found, they somehow dont get the importance:whistling:

Welcome to being a REEFKEEPER Crispin! Now THAT's what it is ALL about! Enjoy mate! :thumbup:

Well Done Crispin!!

Don't worry, my wife still think I'm craze for staring at a rock for several minutes at a time.

Now for some pics please :whistling:

hehe i live alone....didnt even have to worry about the water i split till i was finished and if i get a non reefer, i am sure i will convert them. Its actually seeing likesfishes system that really inspired me about the little critters inside. and i ahve a perfect led torch for midnight vigils so i will have a a look and see:)

Funnily enough, i don't think you are alone in that confession, even swmbo spent a few hours just staring at rocks when i first got started:lol: :lol:

People alwas ask me why are you alwas looking at your tank
thats why i got a tank:lol:

Good luck Crispin. Sounds excellent and you've got some nice equipment listed there.

As much as we like pics, we like updates too :) Keep on posted on the progress :thumbup:

sounds good Crispin.looking forward to the pics ;)

day 2 of cycle race so half way through the needed 94.7 hours:) LOL i shouldnt joke with mods you guys tend to take cycling seriously:) but i did see all sorts of soft wavey tentacles floating out from under rocks and stuff, kind of makes me wonder if i havent put them in upside down. I have a few pics from a small digital and WARR seeing as you were first to ask for them would u give me a guideline on how to drop them in here?

:D Nice crispin, sounds like you're off to a really good start, looking forward to seeing the progress on your tank :thumbup:

Awesome skimmer you have there.

Back
Top Bottom