New tank filtration

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by rakabos, 13 Jun 2012.

1. rakabos

rakabos

Hi guys

I wanna get some thoughts on filtration for the tank i am restarting. Reasons for restarting:
    1. Nudibranches (zoas will be in qt for 2 months)
    2. Aiptasia (starting fresh with just bio rock)
    3. Blue clove polyps. They are EVERYWHERE
    4. Asterinas on zoas (qt with dips will sort them out i hope)
    5. Bryopsis everywhere

The tank is 700L with 150L sump. I have a Reef Oct x 250 skimmer. My plans are to run nothing in the sump except maybe a PO4 reactor. No DSB. Maintenance will be a 100L waterchange every 2 weeks. I will be dosing Special Blend and Red Sea PO4/NO2 reducer for bacterial establishment, as well as some Stability in the first month or so. I will have around 70kg bio rock in the DT.

What do you guys think? Am i too light on filtration? Tank will be just zoas and fish.

Martin

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Wes

Wes

I think you may miss the DSB and or Live Rock in the sump Keep it natural chief, worked for you in the past why go against what worked for you?

4. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Why not run a pellet reactor first. See how it performs and if you find that you are left with some phosphate/nitrate (phosphate the most likely to get left behind) then get a reactor for that or just add some liquid remover to drop the levels. Remember that you dont want to run a specific reactor like the phosphate constantly with carbon dosing.

As with all carbon dosing your nitrate/phosphate will get removed according to the redfield ratio so whether you run pellets (simpler form of carbon dosing) or the special blend/red sea mix it will be the same. And if one of the elements are not present the other one will not drop. So thats the reason why I suggest only run the specific reactor/liquid removers when needed.

But if you do liquid carbon dosing then maybe look into a doser for some stability and for when you are away. I would go for the pellet route now and then if

5. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

Ive looked at the pellet option, but I have not done much research on it. The Red Sea stuff does work well I must say, hence my reason for going that route. Adding 10ml each night when I feed is a breeze.

The idea is to have as little hassle as possible. Perhaps a DSB for that safety net wouldnt be a bad idea. In the middle compartment I wanted to have a bare bottom with a flow pump, to double as a frag tank. I currently have a frag tray ontop of the dsb but with low flow it really doesnt work that well.

Last edited: 13 Jun 2012
  6. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

To me pellets are easier than manual dosing. Do you really want to trust the tank sitter to do carbon dosing when you are away on holiday? And with liquid carbon dosing, does it not require you to switch off the skimmer? Thats extra manual work if it is so.

You already have a battery backup so you hook up the pellet reactor to that so that you dont get the issue with fusing the pellets together as other people have experienced.

Last edited: 13 Jun 2012
  7. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

Are pellets that straightforward?

8. Wes

Wes

remember what we spoke about last time i was there, there's an easier way to do it, we need to chat again...

9. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

10. Wes

Wes

I'll ring you tonight

11. Reefhead

Reefhead

From running pellets there is just one thing I would say, do not ever run the pellets with po4 remover.
    Massive headaches right there
    If you get certain basic rules right then yes the pellets are that easy

12. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

Can someone gimme a rundown of how pellets are hooked up, flow needed, recommended hardware?

13. brentv

brentv

Hey Rakabos,
    Just checking also not a fundi in the pellet route, and I've always opted for DSB, but your tank is gonna be very specific (Zoas) which require nutrients, flow and light!
    Do you not think the Pellets might strip this?.. Just wondering coz I'm curious too:blush:

14. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

Ive read that zoas are ok with low nutrients. Shrooms and xenias etc would suffer...

15. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

But that is what I said. You only run the phosphate reactor for a short period of time if you are left with phosphates and no nitrates. Then you stop running it. That is why liquid remover might actually work better as its faster and easier.

16. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Zoas do require some nutrients but phosphate does stunt growth to a certain degree. So more is not better in this case. And if the pellets are removing too much then you can reduce the amount of pellets you are using. Somewhere you will find the happy middle of removing most but leaving some for uptake by corals. Its the same with any dosing, you need to match the amount you dose with actual consumption. In this case however you match the amount of pellets to the amount of nutrients produced by the tank.

17. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

So both options are viable, pellets or liquid dosing. Would one even do special blend etc if a pellet reactor is running?

18. Reefhead

Reefhead

Proper reactor is a must to ensure the correct flow through the pellets (no dead spots)
    A big skimmer is a must
    The outlet of the reactor must be connected straight into the skimmer (highly suggest this option)
    The cool thing about the pellets is you can almost "control" your nutrient levels with the amount of pellets you run
    To start I would suggest starting off with a 100ml pellets per 100L of water then as you go you can add more pellets if your bioload, feeding, etc increases
    Remember that pellets are not only for a ULNS
    I do say I am very sorry and yes if you do need to do this I would suggest the liquid remover as a better option to the media

19. Reefhead

Reefhead

Special blend and pellets together is a winning formula
    I chuck my special blend straight into the inlet of the reator
    It just keeps the bacteria going on the pellets

20. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

Thanks guys. So the reactor outlet feeds into the skimmer?

21. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Just close to the skimmer pump intake.

Recent Posts