New tank concern

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Desert Tang, 4 Mar 2012.

1. Desert Tang

Desert Tang

Can somebody pls give me some advice as to what I should be looking for when shopping for a tank? I never thought buying a tank could be so difficult My concern is buying a tank that looks fine but might not be strong enough. My biggest fear is buying a weak tank that was built by an inexperienced person that glued pieces of glass together with a bit of silicone.

The size I am looking for is 1500(L) 600 to 700(H) and 600(W). Will 10mm glass be strong enough? Should I look for bracing at the top and on the bottom panel or will top bracing be enough? What other questions should I ask the seller to make sure I do not get manipulated into buying something that is just a cheap weak glass box that went through a horrible "pimp my tank"!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Wes

Wes

Glass thinckness is dependant on what you will be stocking, and the height of the water level in the tank, there are a number of Tank Glass thikness calculators that would be able to better assist you in making your decsicions. Just have a look around on the forumn or run a search.

However, welcome it's always good to have new blood and new ideas on the forumn, Enjoy

:thumbup::):thumbup:

4. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

Some tips:

• i would personally go wider and shallower (.700w and .600h)
    • look for solid triangular neatly finished off glue seams
    • make sure the tank is constructed of at least 10mm
    • ensure that there is suffiecient bracing all round top and bottom (if 10mm is used)
    • make sure the overflow is at a sufficient level (approx 5cm from the top of tank depensant on design)
    • check that you have correctly sealed / glued plumbing fittings attached to the glass
    • check that the tabl/ stand its on is level before filling.
    • always use polystyrene on a leveled table.
    Questions to ask are:
    • How old is the tank?
    • How long has it been standing dry (if so where? as the sun will quickly deteriorate the strength of the glue)
    • Does it leak? may seem stupid but a valid question.
    guys feel free to add to this. its monday and my brain is fried already :)

Desert Tang likes this.
  5. Manic

Manic Moderator

My personally opinion would be to go shallower than 600mm even. I would go for 500mm with water level at 450mm.

Instead of looking for a used tank why don't you get one built.

Keanan and Tony like this.
  6. RFSwanepoel

RFSwanepoel

I have to agree with getting one built.
    I am also still in the process of having it done and building it is a awesome way to figure all this stuff out.
    I'm going for a 800 x 500 x 500, 280L with an extremely complicated 100L sump.
    Moolis @ Pet Stop SA (SPONSOR) is an awesome guy to contact about these things and they are so far by far the cheapest Quote I have gotten on my tank.

One tip with building one is research filtration and Plumbing extensively.
    It's more tricky than expected.

Desert Tang likes this.
  7. RFSwanepoel

RFSwanepoel

lol 180L not 280L

8. K_ONE

K_ONE

Hi Desert Tang

I assume from your reply in my thread and this thread that you are concerned about buying a tank from another reefer.

My personal preference is to only buy tanks that are built by people with a lot of experience in building tanks. They will know best regarding what thickness of glass to use and what bracing is required for the size tank they are building.
    The builder will also know how to silicone the glass together correctly.

For this reason I only choose a LFS to build tanks for me rather than another reefer or someone off gum tree, for example.

If I were in your position, I would visit a few LFS and see how their tanks are built and use that information together with visiting the actual tank that you want to buy. It's impossible to make the conclusion about how something is put together correctly if you've never seen it being put together.

Send me a PM or post in my for sale thread if you want to see the tank. I can even take you to a LFS to see how a tank is built, if you want ;)

Desert Tang likes this.
  9. Desert Tang

Desert Tang Thread Starter

I just want to thank all of you for your advice. @K ONE, thanks, I was really interested in your set up, still am, it is just so difficult living in the middle of nowhere, I cant just get in the car and drive 460km to go and view a tank, and even worse is the cost to get large stuff transported SAFELY. @ RFSwanepoel, thanks, think I should contact Moolis and get a quote. Again, thanks all!

10. K_ONE

K_ONE

No problem.. I only realized that you are in Beaufort West after reading your reply.
    460KM is maybe a little too far for a sunday drive ;)

Good luck with finding a tank or getting one transported!

Recent Posts