New tank, advise on what to put in 1st...

Reaction score
My 500ltr tank including sump is 1 week old. Will only start putting in live stock once cycled in 4 -6 weeks, Im in no rush. So far 20kg of rock in tank, only 10kg's is live rock. I will add about another 15kg's of rock once cycle is starting to level. I want to start planning what to put in the tank. Im wanting to start with a few hermits and a shrimp or 2. Then want to start adding a few pretty fish that are hardy. Ultimately I want a easy tank to handle(easy as possible) with a few clowns(think I'll get 2 hammer coral instead of anemoni's) + other hardy fish + soft coral. Please advise in detail what fish I should start with, and what soft coral. Please add pics if you can, or tell me where to look to see the fish and coral. Is there a site where I can print a poster type page with the most common fish and soft coral? All advise would be great as Im trying to not burn my fingers too badly in the start and I havent really got too much extra time to hunt for all this info by myself. Thanks for all the assistance so far.

From my limited experience:

- Blue legged hermits.
- Cleaner shrimp
- Snails
- Percula clowns
- Midas blenny
- Sand goby (great! for getting rid of detritus in your sand)

And a much more controversial one - I've had a few yellow tangs and they've all been bulletproof. But they are expensive, and others might well differ on this one.

Ok agree and disagree with the yellow tang. Yes bullet proof but not good as a first fish due to their aggression! congrats brendan on the new tank, go slow initially i think, always a good principal.... the list of suitable fish organisms is long, unfortunately, the list of unsuitable organisms is even longer! Find an experienced person in your area, and go to pet shops together where he can advise u. Compatibility is important, but fish selection at the lfs is even more, save yourself money

If you likeTangs add them to the tank last, once your other inmates have settled.

My preference in tangs is the Naso and Hippo Tang- nice calm fish.

Midas is a great fish. Also get some Anthias (goldies)

Coral, start with softies - pincushion, Zoa and mushrooms and then add in a couple of hammers and frogspawn to finish it off.

any particular reason why you want add the 15 kgs of LR only when the cycle begins to level?

Ya, I want really good life rock this mushrooms etc in the rock. Dont want to kill or harm them while tank cycles. Ive already got 10kg's live rock but 20kg total rock in tank, so this should be enough for cycle? Am I wrong? If the cycle wont harm the life on the live rock, then I'll put it in sooner. My tank is a week old and it hasnt started cycling. I added some cooking shimp in a stocking yesterday to give it a boost, hope it hurrys up.

Hi guys, good thread here, just how long until I can add some shrimp and a few tiny cleaners, hermit crab, turbo snails etc ????

How many days would you guys say ? Also I'm using seachen stabilty to help speed up the cycle ???? What do you think???

Like you said in your opening thread, 4-6 weeks. Check your parameters before you start adding any livestock.

I would say you need to look at about 4 weeks cycle. Check parameters and when they are stable start introducing CUC (clean up crew). Start with hermits and snails.

Not sure what the Seachem product does to the cycle.

This cycle period is important or you will start loosing livestock.

at what time do I start seeing AmmoniA, nitrite and nitrates ??? My tank is now 2 days old and amonia, nitrates, nitrites are strangley low, is this normal ????

Sammy: yes, they will climb and then steadily drop. Takes time

at what time do I start seeing AmmoniA, nitrite and nitrates ??? My tank is now 2 days old and amonia, nitrates, nitrites are strangley low, is this normal ????

Yip, you most probably had new water with no life in it. Give it a week and then you will see the Ammonia kick in as the dead things from your LR start to rot.

hmmmmmm, patience patience I guess ... I'm so impatient I even want to see the nasties in the water, ha ha ha.... Its going to be a tough 4 weeks ....:(

hmmmmmm, patience patience I guess ... I'm so impatient I even want to see the nasties in the water, ha ha ha.... Its going to be a tough 4 weeks ....:(

Hang in there, it is well worth the wait and will be less harmful to your pocket and your livestock.

We've all been through it.

Ah, your first marine tank, great feeling, nothing beats it. Remember even that initial 4 weeks is nothing compared to the life span of yours aquarium. Reefs become more stable as they age, so dont think that after 4 weeks u can add anything and everything. The no. One rule in marine is go slow, unless uve got a shit load of money!

Back
Top Bottom