New system running - life?

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Tim S, 3 Oct 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S

Hi all,
    My tank has been cycling for 4 weeks now and the pic's show some changes I can see. The base rock has many small knobules of maroon coloured 'things' on them. They tend to be more under the rock and not in the direct light. Can someone tell me what this is please. The dsb also seems to have worms burrowing arround. Small mounds are visible on the top. Is this OK or not? And finally the dsb has started showing black patches in the sand. I take it this is good?

2. Guest

3. Sentari

Sentari

I cant see any photo's? and Welcome!

4. OP
    Tim S

Tim S

I cannot seem to upload JPEG format and dont know how to change it. They have been re-sized ????

5. davidfr7

davidfr7

try photobucket.com and then put the link hear and it should show

6. OP
    Tim S

Tim S

I'll try again. The server blocks Photobucket. 20854ac6f839583af.jpg 20854ac6f83964eb1.jpg 20854ac6fb936c637.jpg 20854ac6fa0c2e18f.jpg 20854ac6fa244ed72.jpg

7. davidfr7

davidfr7

that DSB looks Busy Fantastic!!!!

8. Tony

Tony

Looks like coralline algae to me

9. Stressed Eric

Stressed Eric

That's looking great Tim, the black patches are just part of the deal and aren't rotten (just in case you're worried about them) the worms and pods running around are your friends, they'll be first to tell you when something's happening with your water quality. Those sand mounds probably have more to do with water motion in the tank than anything else. The red stuff is either some sort of sponge or coraline, both are good, so there's nothing to worry about. Are you testing your water parameters and following the cycles ?

10. THE ANIMAL

THE ANIMAL

YES :iagree: with stressed Eric you have nothing to stress of :whistling:. Every thing is looking good man :thumbup:

11. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Like Tony said have mentioned above that is coralline algae...

12. werner5

werner5

looks great :thumbup:

13. OP
    Tim S

Tim S

Thanks for the comments chaps. The mounds are as a result of redish worms. They came with the sand which I collected. I thought they would die off quickly but apparently not. When I put the sand in they "legged it" straight to the lower regions and did not see them for some time. Two weeks later the mounds started appearing.

14. OP
    Tim S

Tim S

System running for 4 weeks now and some brown hairy agea starting to grow. I'm not too concerned abouit this but the DT water is teaming with tiny white swimming orginisms. It started off with only a few, but there are so many now that it looks like a sand storm would look in the tank. I beleive they are brine shrimp and there are thousands of them. I wish I had something to feast on them.

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

What is the water level above your sand? Looks very shallow. No problem in increasing it.

I doubt if a heater in that shallow water will be effective. Maybe it will. But I will be to afraid that it might get exposed and overheat. Ok, that depends in the sump design.

Maybe post a pic of complete sump.

16. OP
    Tim S

Tim S

Hi Riaan, I don't have the depth to put the heater upright anywhere else. It should be fine there as the flow past it is quite fast. The level cannot drop either as the baffels will keep this minimum depth which the heater is in. As for raising the level, by adding water to the system, I can't do too much there either. I thought I had lots of space for all the 'stuff' but I have already had to re-do some plumbing to use the space more efficiently. I now get why some systems are housed "in the room behind tank"

17. Seabass

Seabass

Tim S, sorry to say but it is update time, come let us see what you been up to.

18. ronaldgv

ronaldgv

How can one tell if the black spots in the DSB is the result of something rotting or not? Just curious...

19. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Tim - here's my take on your questions:
    1) the dark red "Stuff" seems to be a type of worm to me. I know that you get the "worms" that make a little shell type thing on the rocks..... I am not 100% sure that corralline algae will grow BELOW the rocks..... it needs light as far as I know.

2) the black patches is indeed a good sign - but do not disturb your DSB at all.... The black patches is sulphur dioxide. Which means that the an-aerobic bacteria has started working.

This sulphur dioxide is dangerous to fish at very high levels. BUT, as I said - as long as the sand bed is not disturbed, you should not have any problems.

20. Pugsly

Pugsly

that DSB looks great! no need to worry about it

Recent Posts