New Sump Idea

Reaction score
Well after the last few months ive come up with a "Good" sump design.
That i think it would be perfect..

Ive read so much online that my head is spinning.

Please tell me what you think of my new sump im going to put together.

45154e2964e251e33.jpg

Looks good.
I like the idea of having liverock in the sump, gives you more free space in the DT.
How about adding a milk filter or filter floss to the first chamber? You dont really need a separate chamber for the overflow, it can go straight into the skimmer chamber.
In the drawing, is that eggcrate above the chaeto? If you want chaeto, id rather have it suspended in a compartment above the liverock to maximise the amount of light it gets.
Do you plan on having carbon, phosphate media etc?

Cheato chamber is way way way to small.

ATU drum, could be that, an separate drum or plastic tub. Less glass, a lot cheaper.

Last divider could be higher. 10mm lower than the first.

Ok basicly this is how i want it to work.

First chamber: overflow comes in with Carbon waterproof mat ( its expensive but it works very well ) R1000 +- per Sq Meter

Second chamber: skimmer

Third: Cheato holding tank with defuser crate to hold it in place ( light lays behind the tank on the side so the whole Cheato gets Direct Close Light from the Side) it should tumble do to the high water flow.

Forth: Live rock section with 30+ Kg's of Base Rock
Also it will have Light Defuser running along the top for Frags.

Fifth: Return pump..

I will add external Reactors ( Might Go Np Pellets ) and feed the return into skimmer chamber.

Last edited:
I've also seen a siphon effect happening on top up containers that are higher than the return height. be very careful of this.

As for the cheato area you will get water that flows over the cheato and not through it. Makes a big difference. Also remember lighting that hits the skimmer will cause many things to grab onto you skimmer like algae and coraline.

I've also seen a siphon effect happening on top up containers that are higher than the return height. be very careful of this.

Thats impossible due to the fact that the topup pipe doesn't come near the water in the sump..

Also remember lighting that hits the skimmer will cause many things to grab onto you skimmer like algae and coraline.

Didnt think of that.. thanks...

what is this and what does it do?

Perky Pets got it in..

Basically the dirt wont absorb into the mat but just stick to it and gets trapped.
So basically never needs to be replaced just cleaned very well.

Dave from Perky's explained but forgotten..

Last edited:
light lays behind the tank on the side so the whole Cheato gets Direct Close Light from the Side
Not going to work
Within a few days the tank side will be green, no light passing to the cheato.

Back
Top Bottom