new sump design

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by jono, 26 Jul 2014.

1. jono

jono MASA Contributor

hello fellow reefers

I want to build a new sump for my four foot. have a look and let me know your thoughts. one thing I have learnt is simple is best.

sump design.jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Vetrix

Vetrix

Looks good.

The separator between the DSB/Fuge and the Live rock chamber is going to be what? Egg crate/Light diffuser?

It should be removable for maintenance on the DSB and fuge. You also need to ensure that there will be enough flow over the DSB.

4. jono

jono Thread Starter MASA Contributor

it is there to separate the live rock from the dsb and the dsb water flow will be a lot slower than the live rock as slow flow over a dsb is better

5. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Not sure if that dsb is large enough to be effective. I'd rather have a larger skimmer chamber ( in case you ever plan on upgrading the skimmer) and then have a larger fuge area.
    Are you running any carbon or phosphate remover?

6. Vetrix

Vetrix

Not too slow I hope, otherwise you might have a lot of settlement on the DSB.

7. jono

jono Thread Starter MASA Contributor

The dsb will be just short of 3 foot by 200 wide and 250 deep which is more than currently and its been effective. In terms of the water flow over the dsb what I have read and seen the water must turn over the volume of the total tank water in 24hrs to be effective as too much flow is detrimental. One of the tanks ive seen with this method is prob one of the best tanks in sa.

8. Vetrix

Vetrix

IMHO, that's way too little flow over the DSB. It needs to be fed and 1x tank volume in 24 hours aint gonna cut it. Check here.

http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/deep-sand-beds-dsb-s/19869-what-the-correct-flow-your-dsb.html

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

that is too slow.
    so that implies, if you have a 1000L display, that you need 1000/24 return pump, that means a pump that delivers 41L/h back into the display...

Plus more. If your sump turnover is too low, that means the display would also not flush out rubbish before it settles. No point in having 4 * MP40 at full blast in a 200L tank, if you are not getting enough water to exit the system via the overflow. You need to up the return flow rate, that will be equal to your overflow rate. The higher, the more shit and crap can flush over to the sump.

I aim at having a return pump, that is strong enough so that on my last divider in the sump, I still get more than 6mm up to 10mm of water head. That is the distance between the glass top and the actual water surface.

Recent Posts