New Sump advice

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Junz, 6 Mar 2009.

1. Junz

Junz

Hi Guys

i need your advice , im planning a new sump, my current sump is ok but has a lot flaws and id prefer to redo it while i have the opportunity ( moving house in a month)

ok so here is the proposed sump, please feel free to comment, thats why iv posted it here.

im planning on not having an algae scrubber and instead use cheato and 3 DSB's

have a look and please give direction
    [​IMG]

1. will be the skimmer and a filter sock which will overflow into the Main DSB
    2. Main DSB ( no light )
    3. a recovery Tank ( basically to put fish/coral that need a bit more attention before been put in the DT) and will double up as 2nd DSB
    4. will be a 3rd DSB with Cheato and a few critters.... i put this last so that it (hopefully) can supply to some degree food to the main tank
    5.return
    6. Auto top up

so what ya think ? its there a better way to do this ? bear in mind i am planning on keeping SPS's in the future.

thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. scubaninja

scubaninja

I think you should join all the DSBs and just have one. Splitting them up doesnt really help much, unless you are hoping to separate fish etc in your sump which fish shouldnt exactly live as a permanent home anyway. Why have you split them up? You say for recovery etc, but the main DSB can be the same area for that. Just keep it simple;)

4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i agree, keep it simple

5. Junz

Junz Thread Starter

the reason i split them is because my DSB at the MO is gets really dirty running cheato and feeding my small coral frags....

but thanks for the suggestions, i can incorporate the 1st & 2nd dsb then the 3rd i ill split so i can keep the cheato in its own chamber...

i personally think that my DSB & cheato will be big enough to keep the nitrates down, but im not a 100% sure.... i am currently running a Algea scrubber at the mo but looking to get rid off it when the new sump is ready. apart from it costing more to run than just having cheato, it also requires more attention than cheato

but thats just me

6. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

if you want to add some nice life to the dsb, create a dark area, not too big, and place eggcrate there, creates a perfect place for bethenic life and creates a nice cryptic zone

7. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Junz - I would make the 2 DSB parts and the chaeto area ONE HUGE dsb, and then just partition off the area's with egg-crate.... (OVER / ON TOP of the dsb)

Recent Posts