New Stock

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by cptmayhem, 17 Oct 2009.

1. cptmayhem

cptmayhem

Well, my tank is 4 weeks old - got a clown in there. It's happy as a pig in the proverbial pooh.

Added another clown, and within 5 hours, 'twas dead...

Original one is still swimming around as if nothing happened....

could it be that i spent a bit too little time acclimatising the little bugger to the tank (30 minutes on drip, then 25 minutes on slightly more than drip then treansferred over to the tank and he looked very happy...)

Or could it be something else? First clown is still very happy and swimming like Monsieur Phelps add over the place...

Please help!!!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

if it was that quick its almost certainly acclimatisation. There wasnt any conflict between the two that could have lead to additional stress on the new one?

also note, that too slow an acclimatisation can lead to a loss of oxygen in the bag and that can be deadly too, although its unlikley with fish like clowns for this to happen.

what are your water parameters? can you give us a recent test result and which kits do u use?

4. xtreme

xtreme

same sp. or diffrent clowns?

5. cptmayhem

cptmayhem Thread Starter

Too slow - almost impossible. Took it from Sam's in the bag, put it in an ice-cream box and dripped it (okay, more slightly faster than a drip) for 45 minutes then put it into the tank and it was prefect until i came home from the rugga... Saw there was only 1 fish and got a skrik..

I've just tested PH for now... The clown that i have in there now has taken A LOT more colour in the past 2 days, and it's fins are now almost fully developed.

PH is between 8 & 8.5 (got one of those colour test PH kits) and everything else is growing properly...

Got a couple of Polyps and they opened up properly over the past couple of days... Parameters were tested at Sam's with their electronic tester, and all was right.

Can only this I acclimatised it a bit too fast. Does anyone agree with my thinking? Oxygen certainly shouldn't be a problem... got my protein skimmer, mechanical filter and live rock going all the time... As well as my aragonite base medium.

6. cptmayhem

cptmayhem Thread Starter

same species, taken from the same tank. Only difference is that the new one spent 2 day in Sam's tank, whereas the other spent 2 days in mine...

7. Annoying

Annoying

It could be of stress. You didn't do anything drastic to maby stress the new fish maybe some aquacaping or something? Also I baught a african clown a few months back and when a added him to my tank I noticed almost all of his fins were torn and he died in a few hours.Maybe something similar happend to yours .

8. cptmayhem

cptmayhem Thread Starter

Could be - I noticed his dorsals weren't there - even when he was dead i couldn't draw them out by running my finger along it's back - but i just attributed that to its juvenility...

Aquascaping was done prior to insertion (with first colwn in the tank!!!), and all i did was acclimatise and insert (as well as watch, but that doesn't count as activity)

So I can only come to the conclusion that it was too quick in acclimatisation, or it was a weak/damaged fish?

9. cptmayhem

cptmayhem Thread Starter

Oh well - I'll get another on monday - and report how that one goes. I'll be sure to make that one acclimatise a lot easier though. Used my Camelbak the first time, and just a clamped tube this time - might've let a bit too much water in too quickly this time!

10. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Well to lose any live stock is indeed sad...But like you have mentioned above, your tank is only 4 weeks old which means it is still cycling...And you are stocking to quickly...:nono:

If you are going to Sam's please get yourself a bottle of Seachem Stability and Prime...Then depending on the size of your tank, switch off skimmer for 20-30 minutes throw in one capful of Prime per 200l...
    Switch skimmer back on after 20-30 minutes and add Stability, ,one capful for every 80 ltrs...Continue this for a week...

Hope this will help...

11. crispin

crispin

no, i dont mean just ph, i mean a full set of test results. that tank is still cycling and the possibilities that spikes are still high is very real, in my view. i wouldnt rely on an LFS to say yes to my water parameters so that they can sell you stock. By this i am refereing to general principles, not in your specific case. You need to have test kits and good ones, certianly No2 No3 and ammonia, sg and temp as the absolute minimum.

Good test kits are expensive i know that, but they can save you alot and they give you vital information about your tank. I would reccomend a good set of test kits before a new clown, but thats just my view

12. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

PM me and i will come and test your parameters...

13. cptmayhem

cptmayhem Thread Starter

Been dosing Stability & Prime for the past 4 weeks... Doing it every 2nd day now, and still keeping the lights off for all but 2 hours of the day.

Temperature is at a constant 25 degrees (tested by good old mercurial thermometer in the tank) and the PH has been between 8 and 8.5 the whole time... I need to get a more accurate test kit though. Matching it to the colours on the chart is friggin frustrating at best.

Can anyone recommend a good test kit? I'm on a bit of a budget, and do not want to break the bank. Can an electronic unit test for all the relevant values, and what would one cost?

14. IMarine

IMarine

Hi bra sams salanity is 1022 i checked that myself, dripping all good but you should of had a quaritine tank and keep it in there for 1 month or so,i always found with clowns by adding more then one there is always one or 2 that dies rather opt for a yellow tang as he has small ones

15. cptmayhem

cptmayhem Thread Starter

unfortunately I don't have the luxury of having a quarantine tank... they clowns were bought from the same "batch" and the one i have now is perfectly happy. I'm getting another one today, but will take extra special care to acclimatise it fully and also look that there is no damage on the little blighter...

16. IMarine

IMarine

Hi bra so did you get another fish and what one

17. cptmayhem

cptmayhem Thread Starter

Yeah, got another common clown for the moment (budget doesn't extend to a yellow tang at the moment, and the existing one was getting lonely) but it's taken to the tank like sh!t to the sole of a shoe... Dripped it a LOT slower than both the first & second ones to make sure that acclimatisation isn't a problem.

Also took the original one (dubbed Nemo 1.0) out and did some aquascaping so that there's now plenty places to hide from the currents.

Put them both in, and now they're never more than 6 inches away from each other.

The new one is also a bit more mature than the one that died, as well as Nemo 1.0

Had a look at them this morning, and they were quite happy on their little outcropping. Fed them, put a cap-full of prime & stability in 30 minutes later, and all is well.

18. shrimp

shrimp

glad the new one is happy and well ..... try and not stock anything for the next two weeks or so in order for the "good" bacteria to catch up/increase ....

19. cptmayhem

cptmayhem Thread Starter

I only plan on introducing the next occupant (a crab or shrimp) at the END of next week, and probably only a week after that...

Recent Posts