New Setup

Reaction score
Hi - I am a new member in Pietermaritzburg. Setting up a 1,5 x 0.6 x 0.55 reef tank. All plumbing is done and water and salt is in. Skimmer installed and working as well as 4 x 54w t5 lights and 3 1700l/h powerheads. Return pump is 3500l/h.

Any members in PMB. Need advice re use of chillers (seem necessary in PMB in summer) and new fish. I also could do with some advice on cyling the tank. How long should a salt water tank take? I have added some Organic Aqua and have seeded the DSB with some small pieces of liverock. Also have some liverock in the display tank.

Hi, welcome to MASA.

How much live rock do you have in the tank? what do you use for the water? natural sea water or R/O and salt mix?, do you have any other powerheads for water movement?

As long as your weater quality is good then you are looking at 4-6weeks for cycling, but you will need to test for Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and phosphate (all should be zero)

A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA, Sandlewood! Thanks for joining us! Great that you joined MASA!

OK - please start off with a few other answers - if you don't mind?
1) what is your goal with this aquarium? FISH ONLY? Mixed Garden Reef? Full SPS?
2) What brand salt are you using?
3) what skimmer do you have?

Would you be so kind as to post us some pictures of your tank/equipment?

Many thanks - and good luck with your journey into the world of keeping marines!

Welcome to MASA :)

Thanks guys!

Using RO water (I have a RO unit with new membranes etc - 0 TDS). Aiming for a reef tank with soft corals at first due to lighting contraints. I figure I will need MH units for SPS? Skimmer is an aqua excel rated for 750 to 1000l. Planning on putting in a seio M1100 4000l/h. Is this too much? I have read that circulation should be at least 20x tank volume per hour! My DSB consists of 15cm (h) x 50cm x 15cm of fine crushed coral and silica mixed - is this OK? I will try and post some pics tomorrow.

Welcome Sandlewood, enjoy your stay:peroni:

Thanks guys!

Using RO water (I have a RO unit with new membranes etc - 0 TDS). Aiming for a reef tank with soft corals at first due to lighting contraints. I figure I will need MH units for SPS? Skimmer is an aqua excel rated for 750 to 1000l. Planning on putting in a seio M1100 4000l/h. Is this too much? I have read that circulation should be at least 20x tank volume per hour! My DSB consists of 15cm (h) x 50cm x 15cm of fine crushed coral and silica mixed - is this OK? I will try and post some pics tomorrow.

Hi Sandlewood - ok - Good show on the RO water.
I have never heard of the "Aqua Excel skimmer" - do you perhaps have a picture of it?
Regarding the water flow - you can NEVER have enough water flow if you want to go fully blown reef.
Yes - there are SOME corals that prefer less water flow (some LPS for example), but MOST corals prefer HUGE water flow.
You say 20x? No - I would rather say 60 to 70 times.... My 2 metre reef tank has 90 times water flow (+-60000 litres per hour being moved around - my tank display volume is +-670 litres, excluding sump volume)....
So - NO - the M1100 is NOT overkill...... You will MOST likely want to add another 2 at some stage...

You DSB sounds great! How fine is the coral substrate you mixed into the DSB? Sound good so far! :thumbup:

Thanks Jaquesb. Aqua Excel is the same as a reef octopus apparently (just has different powerheads)? Coral sand in the DSB is 2mm on average I would guess maybe a little smaller.

I have decided to go for a 1/2 hp chiller - PMB is hot as hell and tank went up to 32 deg over the weekend.

Welcome to MASA Sandlewood, looks like you're off to a good start. Just be patient and take it slow - wait the cycle through, you won't be sorry ;)

Where in PMB are you staying? I'm also from PMB :)

Hi Tobes

I live in Chase Valley. How about you?

I'm in Boughton ;)

If you want me to come have a look or need any help - just shout!!! :wave2:

Welcome sandlewood!

this is the best hobby on earth!

Last edited by a moderator:
Salt used is Tetra Marine and salinity is 1023 using my hydrometer. About 30kg's of liverock in the tank.

Rather invest in a refractometer, way more accurate than a hydrometer - about R500-R600 (I think, bought mine for R500 a year ago)

:wave2:

I also need advice on the skimmer - How far up the "spout" should the foam be running? At the moment it seems to vary but has not yet approached the top. Foam is starting to leave a browm residue and is running +/- 1/3 from the flange or neck of the skimmer - is this OK or should I close the outlet and get it higher. Anything in the cup seems to have come via condensation rather than overflow.

Back
Top Bottom