New Setup

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by CliveS, 31 May 2010.

1. CliveS

CliveS

Hi all.

A week ago, I bought a Buyo 550 (138l). It comes complete with a WG308 skimmer and an HT 2100 100w heater. The lfs suggested that I get an extra pump to put inside the tank, pointing towards the surface, to help circulation and aeration. It's one of those little pumps with three sucker feet.

I filled with with RO water and Instant Ocean.

I have put a bag of Arag Alive reef sand into the tank and about 15kg of live rock.

No stock as the tank is maturing (see, I am learning :))

After 5 or 6 days of cycling, I noticed that the temperature was varying quite a lot, from 23.5 to around 26, so I thought that either the thermostat was not great, or that it was battling to cope with 138l of water. The data I can find on it, says that it is intended for 100l tanks.

I wanted to put a small 30 litre tank into the base of the Buyo for water prep and changes, so thought I would put this heater in the little tank and get two more heaters. It was suggested that I should look for a Jager heater, which I did this weekend, but only one lfs stocks Jager and they only have a 300w (I wanted to get 2 in case one went down). I bought two 100w Elite heaters, which the lfs chap assured me was a good make ???

Having put them in the tank and set both to 25, the following morning, I noticed that the temp was up to 27.5, so I switched them both off (unplugged them, in fact).

The only things running in the tank yesterday, were the skimmer, pump and the pump in the tank itself - both heaters were off. The lights were on.

Yesterday, it was quite chilly here in Joburg and about seven hours later, the water temp was still around 26.5.

Is this normal? What is an acceptable temperature fluctuation to expect from a heater? Are the new Elite heaters worthwhile?

I am also really battling with the skimmer... either the bubbles are too low or popping through the cap of the unit. Is this skimmer alright, or should I be looking for something else?

Thanks for the help.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

I am glad to hear that you are doing everything right so far :thumbup:, when it comes to temp, i keep my tank at about 26.5 but with heaters it takes some experimentation as all heaters are different, i use 2 boyu 200W heaters set at 27 and it works fine. Some pics of the skimmer would help although i cant really help cus ive never owned a nano :(, i use a reeftek ts1 skimmer which is :yeahdude:. maybe someone with nano experience(no pun intended) can help you more, with the aid of pics of course :). hope all is well and if any other questions, ask away!:wave2:
    oh and temp fluctuations, i think 2 degrees is acceptable, any more would cause a bit of stress to inhabitants. hope that helps :thumbup:

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Hello and Welcome

Water do not cool down that fast. Unless its your bathwater.

What lights do you have. Maybe its the lights that heating your tank and the heaters are doing nothing! Test the heaters maybe outside in a jug or plastic tub. See if it can maintain 25 outside tonight. Then you know its your lights.

5. CliveS

CliveS Thread Starter

Thanks RiaanP and Deadmeat.

I have put a pic here of the skimmer so you can see it. I have also put a shot up of the live rock. There is something brown that seems to be taking over some of the rocks.

Is it algae? Should I be concerned?

Thanks for the help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 31 May 2010
  6. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

The brown stuff is algae yes and its all part of the cycling process i like to call 'war of the algaes' it should dissappear once the tank is fully cycled but im no expert, as for the skimmer, as i said already i dnt have experience with nano equiptment. Someone else please advise!

7. Mad_Max

Mad_Max

Hi,
    The water level is too high. It should just touch the bottom of the collection cup. Adjust the skimmer as high as possible (it should touch the top of the hood when closed), open the turn valve to the max to let the water level drop.

Seeing that your tank is new it is going to take some time (@ least 2 weeks) for the skimmer to start skimming as your bio-load will be almost 0, so no crap to pull out. Just leave it and be patient.

8. CliveS

CliveS Thread Starter

Thanks Mad Max. The skimmer does touch the hood. The hood pushes it down when put in the first time. Sorry I just realised that the pic is not very good to see this.

9. Mad_Max

Mad_Max

Is the outlet fully open? Are you using the sponge to eliminate bubbles from the outlet? What sometimes work is if you remove the outlet connections completely. You will then have to adjust the skimmer water level by moving the entire skimmer up or down. This works, just a pain to dial in initial.

10. CliveS

CliveS Thread Starter

The outlet is fully open Mad Max. Your qustion about the sponge, I am not sure what you mean? Oh - I think I saw that this unit was modified by Buyo at some stage... the outlet on this has a ubend at the top of it that turns the outlet to horizontal with the water surface and there is no sponge on it.

Thanks for the help.

11. robertkukla

robertkukla

Welcome to MASA

12. CliveS

CliveS Thread Starter

Thanks Robert.

Recent Posts