Urgent help needed New Saddleback Clown issues

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by KyleJ, 28 Apr 2014.

1. KyleJ

KyleJ

Hey guys.

So I bought a saddleback clown from a LFS on Friday and its been doing very well in my tl550. So i went back and got a second. Acclimated him via a slow drip added him to the tank and he immediately started being chased around by the other saddleback and two of my chromis. this morning i found him in a crevice in a rock and is breathing extremely heavy and doesn't seem to be moving much.

I dont know if im worrying too much?

His fins are a bit torn but i figured that was as a result of other the other saddlebacks in tank at LFS.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

what is the size of the new one compared to the first one?

4. KAJSafrica

KAJSafrica

i might not be the most experienced fish keeper, but i had similar problem before, and moved the live rock around, i was told that clowns can get aggressive to their own kind if u introduce them at different times, so by moving around the live rock, u break up territories and they establish new ones which might stop the aggression, but again its just my own experience, I'm sure others here might give you a better answer, hope this helps

5. Potions

Potions

Not sure if you have a lot of experience in the hobby, but saddle-back clownfish are not the easiest to keep and can be quite prone to a number of issues...especially if they are wild caught.

Here's a snippet from Saddleback Clownfish, Amphiprion polymnus, Saddleback Anemonefish"They have been known to adapt readily or to quickly perish in captivity. Although many publications state that clowns, including the Saddleback Clownfish, can be kept in a nano tank, more recent observations recommend a 40 gallon tank minimum. They do much better in a group, so a 40 gallon may be fine for a few Saddlebacks, but probably no other fish.

This is one species that is known to do better in captivity with a host anemone. It is thought that this nervous little fish probably stresses without its anemone and succumbs to parasites. Yet keeping a Haddon’s Carpet Anemone, which is their preferred host, would mean a much larger tank that is at least 100 gallons since the anemone will extend up to 39” in diameter."

KyleJ likes this.
  6. KyleJ

KyleJ Thread Starter

Im very much a newbie when it comes to marine aquariums, actually aquariums in general.

Anyway the new one is currently is about 3/4 the size of the older one.

I also reshuffled my aquascape but it seemed to do nothing for the aggression.

7. Potions

Potions

No worries :) How many fish do you have in your setup? Especially if you starting out you also don't want to overstock your tank. That's cause fish add to nutrient build up through eating etc, which causes can cause your nitrates to get high etc. Doing a 10-15% water change once a week will help a lot, but in a tank like that I would keep max 5, maybe 6 fish, but bearing in mind that depends on the type of fish. Like keeping a few small gobies, a blenny and then a two 'main fish' like a pair of clownfish would suite the tank well. But keeping 2 clownfish and 3 chromis might be pushing it - both in terms of territorial needs (clownfish are very territorial and the might not always gel with the chromis swimming all over the place into their territory) and the size of the fish producing more 'waste'.

Hope this helps a bit.

You may be better off taking the saddlebacks back to the lfs and starting out with a pair of ocellaris or true percula tank bred clowns which are much hardier and less prone to finicky issues - but it's just a suggestion :)

Best of luck!

8. Midnight Reefer

Midnight Reefer

Remember, clowns are always funny :p

9. KyleJ

KyleJ Thread Starter

hahaha, :thumbup:
    @3chelon I have the clowns. 4 chromis and thats about it. Got a bit too carried away with the chromis originally. And yes i do a weekly water change 25l.

After reading that article im definitely thinking the saddleback was not the wisest of choices in my tank. But im going to keep it for a while. focus on stocking corals and leave the fish as is .

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. Potions

Potions

ok cool, best of luck! (sorry for the late reply, for some reason I didn't get notified of these last 2 posts) Ye stocking on corals from here on out sounds right. Just keep an eye on your fish and the nitrates etc. If things start looking toward going awry, consider removing some of the fish to reduce the bio load :)

Last edited by a moderator: 3 May 2014
  11. jclaas

jclaas

Remove the two clownfish from the aquarium and keep them together outside the aquarium while you re-scape the aquarium. Then place the clownfish back into the aquarium after you have re-scaped the aquarium. I am thinking that they will be totally lost once placed back into the aquarium and rely on each other for protection.

I am only thinking of this and i do not have first hand experience of this, but i think it is worth a try.

Last edited: 4 May 2014
Recent Posts