New reef lighting

Reaction score
Hi, all. Very new around here.
I have been in the freshwater game for a few years, and would like to move over to reef.
So while searching around for lighting, I came across a site that said 6500k lights work for reefs. This was rather strange for me, as I was under the impression reefs want more blue and red spectrum lights.
Any opinions re. this? I already have 2x20W led floodlights (6500k) on the freshwater tank that I plan on converting and it would be nice if I don’t have to buy more lights...
I also have this cheap extra led tube, very weak but some nice blue spectrum. (Attached)

Attachments

• 572BE464-1C53-4534-A2A8-BC5087007D68.jpeg
    572BE464-1C53-4534-A2A8-BC5087007D68.jpeg
    65.5 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Search for Orphek, Radion (and there is one other I cannot remember the name of) light spectrums and you will have a good idea of a good spectrum spread. Red is not an ideal spectra due to the fact that it promotes GHA growth.

A quick look at the spectrum pic you posted looks not right for marine

Last edited:
Yeah, gathered that, don’t think I will use that tube.
I am more curious re. the 6500K floods...

I am more curious re. the 6500K floods...
6500k is good as it is apparently more close to the kelvin rating of sunlight at midday which is when the corals in the sea receive the maximum light from the sun, however it is not suitable for our closed systems, I tried some 6500k Metal Halides once, the tank looked very yellow and they encouraged vigorous algae growth which ruined the tank.

Noted, thanks for the advice
I think i will go with the zetlight za1200 or rather the zetlight zp4000 as my tank is 90 cm long. Budget is very limited and I plan on mostly keeping softies(we’ll see hoe long that lasts)

Back
Top Bottom