New purple fire goby nowhere to be found

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by wiesnerm, 21 Dec 2009.

1. wiesnerm

wiesnerm

I got myself 'n purple fire goby about 1 and half weeks ago (after a long search for one:thumbup:). I dripped it for about 45 minutes and placed it in the tank and then switched off the lights. I have not seen it since:(:(. I remember that I read somewhere on the forum that fire gobies can hide for up to 2 weeks in a new tank, but can't find the thread.

I just want to know if this is normal and if I must start searching for it, by moving the LR?

PS: I think I might have a mantis shrimp in the tank, but not sure (I will start a seperate thread for this). All the other inmates are fine.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Zuna

Zuna

dude check your sump same thing happend to me with my fire goby looked for him for almost two week, moved the rock and everything around i even gave up thought he was eaten up. then one day i went down to empty my skimmers cup and guess who was swimming around in there. dont even know how he fit through the overflow pipe

4. Anemone

Anemone

Definately check your sump and your over flow box. I have heard of a fish living 5 years before being found alive in an over flow box. If you still can not find it, there is a good chance it has passed and your clean up crew has taken care of it.

5. Warr7207

Warr7207

Yip, I have a cleaner wrasse that travelled through overflow and external skimmer and lives in my sump, and I can't catch him :035:

Been there for nearly a year

6. wiesnerm

wiesnerm Thread Starter

I have checked my overflow box and could not see it. I will have a look again tonight just to make 100% sure.

Thanks for the replies guys, it seems that there are still hope to find it alive.;)

7. Zuna

Zuna

yeah good luck dude those purple one are awesome and pricey:)

8. wiesnerm

wiesnerm Thread Starter

I checked the overflow again last night and there is no sign of the goby:(:(. I hope it is hiding somewhere in the rocks.

Will I disturb the balance and parameters of the tank if I start lifting the rocks in search of the goby? Is this recommended or must I just leave it and accept it is gone if it does not show itself soon?

9. mnd123

mnd123

Leave it alone for now - my 3 hid in a pipe that I use for the rockwork for weeks before showing themselves

10. softiegirl

softiegirl Zoa queen!

do you have a top on the tank? They're jumpers!

11. Jurgs

Jurgs

Arent these fish better kept in pairs or more, they are very shy and will hide. he will probably come out soon. Try feeding some live brine shrimp once the main lights have gone off.

12. Titanse

Titanse

I had a fire goby... he ducked between the rocks... If he is not out in a week or so... gone. :( But as they say... better to get them in pairs, they are more sociable then.

13. wiesnerm

wiesnerm Thread Starter

Yes, the tank is closed at the top. The only place where it could jump to is the overflow box.

Thanks for the suggestion Jurgs. I will try live brine shrimp. That is also the way in which I got my yellow head sleeper goby to start eating.

14. Atilla

Atilla Sponsor

i do not agree that these fish are best kept in pairs! they normally fight very aggressively after a while

15. Titanse

Titanse

If they are paired off pairs they seem to do well.. have seen many pairs in aquariums and they don't fight... but you have to get them as pairs tho...

16. wiesnerm

wiesnerm Thread Starter

Sad news, guys :(....

The goby is nowhere to be found. I had a matis shrimp that I had to take care of and that was in one of the LR at the bottom of the tank. So while I was taking the rockwork apart, I thought I might just as well lift all the rocks to see if the goby was still alive. There was no sign of him... The CUC did do a good job of removing the remains...

I will be on the lookout for another one...

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

If your CUC are effective you will not even notice a spike in any water parameter or anything different on your skimmer. Fish die and they disappear. Maybe if you are lucky you can see a few hermits all together, then you know something died. Else with enough LR it is just gone.

Recent Posts