New pump noisy, does it need time to settle??

Reaction score
Just bought a new return pump (Atlas 1200) and its quite noisy. Does it need time to settle and quieten down or is there a problem?

No - pumps don't usually require time to "settle". Either it works or not - either it is quiet or not.... So, it seems that there might be a problem... Isn't the pump running dry or something?

Nope, its in my rear chambers. Hmm i'll take a look at it to see if I can find a problem

Cool sorter, prop shaft needed a slight adjustment ;)

It's only 1200L/h as apposed to the 1000L/h stock pump but i'm sure the little improvement will help, plus I now got a salt mixer :p

Well 459b I wasn't buying it to improve flow in my display, merely to improve flow from display to rear chamber etc. So by adding the 1200L/h and removing the UV filter that comes with the tank (hinders flow) I think i've successfully done that ;)

i bought a new pump over the weekend and its doing about 2000l/hr, more than double what my old pump did. Im just a bit confused at to the optimal flow rate through the sump. Is there a goal standard or is it more of a personal choice?

I think 2000l/h is cool. Is this in a nano? Some people drill the rear and put a couple pumps in the rear instead of having powerheads in the display. This will obviously improve flow in the sump as well

not a nano. my tank is about 370 litres. that pump is just t oget the water from the sump back tothe tank. i have seios for circulation in the tank

Dude 2000L/h is chilled. I have 1200L/h return in my little nano! I'd have loads of flow in a bigger tank ;)

Hi 459b - you would ideally want the flow through through the sump to be between 3 and 4 times MAXIMUM the tank volume. Otherwise it is too much flow, and the sump cannot do it's work of filtering the water....

think about it logically,water running too fast to the sump and back isnt all that beneficial.the slower the flow the better.more time for water to pass all other biological and mechanical filteration.eg you got a skimmer that runs with a 1000lph pump,whats the use of more than that amount of water passing through....
more benificial to allow more circulation in the DT
my 2 cents

Just bought a new return pump (Atlas 1200) and its quite noisy. Does it need time to settle and quieten down or is there a problem?
getting back to topic....make sure impellor is sitting in the rubber bushes.if not.the pump should/will be under guarantee send it back ;)

Back
Top Bottom