New powerheads cause stress?

Reaction score
i recently had vey little flow in my tank not even 3200lph...then last week i got two 12000lph powerheads....so now i have 24000lph plus the 3200lph
since then i have lost
1x ocellaris
1x Square block anthais male
1x anthais female
to what looks like ich
and other inmates arent looking to good...
i have heard many time that theres no such thing as to much flow....but my question now is could this be to much flow that caused the fish to stress out and bring the major outbreak on.
or is it just a shock to the increased flow.....and if they survive they'll get used to it??

id say its more in connection with the fiddling in the tank to install the pumps than the additional flow...

i doubt that...it took like two minutes to mount to glass and then switch on...no fidling....

Whoever said, you can't have too much flow needs their butt kicked. Different corals prefer different types and power current.

Depending on the size of your tank, your fish could definately be stressed out by current. Or it might be an extra stressor to one already their.

Try pointing them more upwards this increases water oxygenation which is good for Mv prohibiting algae, undesirables and less direct flow.

well its a 1.8x450x600 tank...i doubt the flow is really to much but...event still the powerheads are moving the substrate all over the place.....

Point them upwards dude, this will reduce substrate moving as well.

One thing that may have happened with the increased flow, is a nitrite and ammonia spike which is deadly to Marine Ich infected fish.

The extra flow may have "cleaned" your reef of hidden detritus

I mentioned earlier in another thread, strong flow for small or slow moving fish @ night causes mega problems as they get blown or sucked all over the show, get stressed and die. I switch mine off @ night otherwise i might just find another fish sucked up (And this pump is sitting WAY up in the corner of the tank "60cm" high with a protection nozzle on it).

Hey Bushwacker, now that you mention it, I also had a fish die rather quickly after installing a new 1100 seio. I actually didn't run it full time due to seeing how the fish reacted. You may be onto something here. Let me know what you find. Also whenever I turn the powerhead, detritus is blown up everywhere, so maybe that is also causing a spike.

I mentioned earlier in another thread, strong flow for small or slow moving fish @ night causes mega problems as they get blown or sucked all over the show, get stressed and die. I switch mine off @ night otherwise i might just find another fish sucked up (And this pump is sitting WAY up in the corner of the tank "60cm" high with a protection nozzle on it).

May come into play if you don't have much of a reef. I have in excess of 70x turnover and run the pumps 24/7 via an AM Wave.

At night my smaller (bad swimmers) find a hole in the reef and hide from the M1500 & M2600 powerheads.

May come into play if you don't have much of a reef. I have in excess of 70x turnover and run the pumps 24/7 via an AM Wave.

At night my smaller (bad swimmers) find a hole in the reef and hide from the M1500 & M2600 powerheads.

low blow *cough* I think im going to go back to work now...

I agree with Warr. The extra flow may have stirred up some detritus causing a mini cycle.

So correct me if I am wrong - but a detritus stir-up should therefor be avoided then?
Everytime I do a water change I try to syphon off the subtrate and also stir up the detritus hoping this would reduce the amount of build-up and also help keep the tank clean. Is this wrong?

if you syphon it out that's good the Idea is to have a good flow that changes direction and does not allow the detritus to settle on your rock.

THanks Kalkwasser, I don't have a wave maker so, the flow is set in one direction. I am trying to bounce the flow off the front glass and create some random flow. But when I do change the 1100 seio around I do always notice detritus flying around a bit. Does this happen to everyone?

I have seen guys do tank change overs (me included) and transfer water, liverock and livestock, and almost everytime you get a couple of losses. The NH3 levels are the problem with the added stress of been upheaved.

Back
Top Bottom