New or Second Hand Tank

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by riyadhessa, 5 Oct 2009.

1. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Please guys i need help deciding...

I got the a price to build a new tank...
    Length-1300
    Width - 800
    Height- 700

Then i have seen a second hand tank 4sale at half the price of the new one...
    Length-2000
    Width - 800
    Height- 700

The new place that i am moving into has enough room to accommodate the larger system...

Thanks in advance...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. brentnorm

brentnorm

Hi Riyad, the question really is will you be happy with a second hand tank ? If you are then thats the one for you.

4. keyaam

keyaam

I just bought a second hand tank and came with a few nice goodies and paid a quarter of the price for the exact same tank new. Depending the condition of the tank as well.

5. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

The thing with a 2nd hand is that its really cheap but u gota take what u get and work from there. When i do make another tank it will be brand new because i can foctor in everything from the start i.e:
    Custom height stand so that:
    Algea scubber can be accomodated
    Sump can be built according to my specs with exact places for refugium and dsb etc etc

6. keyaam

keyaam

Ok, when i gave my tank builder my specs he had one on the floor which was exact the same

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

At about 400L more water (that is 50%) and at half the price, just one question, why have you not bought the second hand one yet? The savings on the tank can be spend on more live rock...

8. riyadhessa

riyadhessa Thread Starter

Well i do prefer the custom made tank but the price that i got was only for the tank and sump...So i still got to have the stand made up, then thr is the wood work to finish it off...

The second hand tank comes with some extra goodies too..., Eg...its got a stand, cabinet, T5 lightning, etc...so for the price i think this is an excellent buy...The condition of the tank is good...

Well the first tank that i have mentioned would have been my dream tank...But i can use the moola that i saved to buy other equipment like new skimmer, ati power module light unit, which i am getting for a steel...The system is empty so i can build it up how i want to...Thr is enough space below to accommodate an ATS

Well my wife convinced me buy the 2mtr tank, the guy wants R2000...verses R3500 for the new tank and sump...building a stand at a cost of R1800, the wood work a guy quoted me R4500...Thats a grand total of R9000 verses R2000...

9. keyaam

keyaam

go for the 2metre
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Qaiser

Qaiser

i think the 2nd hand as well plus if its not in a good condition u can always have it polished as long as the silicone is good because resealing is gonna cost u a peny as tank builders says its to much effort.have u tried that guy in maitland his quite cheap on custom builds

11. riyadhessa

riyadhessa Thread Starter

No i have not, could you PM his number please...

12. JD167

JD167

Maybe find out how old the second hand tank is and look VERY carefully for scratches. Those can become a big pain if algae gets hold of them.

13. neo

neo

Hi, I've been going through this process the last 2 months and finally decided on a new tank, the 2nd hand one's i looked at all had some problem needing attention and i decided that being new in this hobby i'd rather go for something new not needing attention because i wont know when it's broken until i start using it - and the 2nd hand stuff that's in very good shape is not that much cheaper.
    also now i can do the tank as i want it, taking me longer than buying all second hand but I'm enjoying it all the way and it forces me to learn before i can buy.
    just my 2cw

14. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

I wouldn't go second hand. The same with cars. With a new car, you could go 1000 000km's before the thing falls apart. With a second hand car, you already sit with 300 000km's on the clock, so you only have 700 000km's left till it also packs up.

I think all tanks will pop at some stage, as nothing in life is everlasting. Having a second hand tank just makes this period much shorter. If you buy it second hand, fill it and it pops, it's your loss. IF you buy a new tank from a LFS, fill it and it pops, then you can take it back...

I'd rather invest in the new tank. It has not been under any strain, whereas the other tank has been under pressure before.

Just my 2c...

Alternatively, just take out insrance with me then you have no worries... ;)

15. Marlin Fischer

Marlin Fischer Mutantfish

Dont forget.... a 2m tank will also mean larger equipment and ultimately larger costs of maintaining.

The tank (glass structure) is often the least costly thing at the end of the day. More live rock, Salt water, larger skimmer, more additives, larger light unit etc can double the costs in comparison to a smaller tank.

Just budget on all the equipment, sand, water and rock per set-up first before you make your final dicision.

16. eddie

eddie

If the 2nd hand tank is in good condition go for it. Saving a buck or two is always helpful.

Recent Posts