New Noob

Kender

Charl
Reaction score
Hi Guys. I sort of got the contents of a marine tank as a gift. Basically I was thrown into the deep end, not complaining, but I have to learn FAST. I used some stuff lying around the house to quickly build a stand and then went and bought a secondhand tank (not a good idea as per post from this site). I now have a 1200 x 450 x 450 tank. its been running for a month now but as you may surmise, not without casualties. I will be asking lots of questions if you guys don't mind, but I really need to learn fast. The contents that I got given includes 4 clown fish, 2 blue fish with yellow tails, that i don't know the names of yet, two corals that I don't know the names off but both seems to be dead, one is still have some small white polyps on it so I still feed it with the hope of it recovering. I also took all the water from the original owner as well as a protein skimmer, 2 foot sump and pump. I installed tree lights in the tank two of them consisting of one side white and one side blue light. I have lost so far one clown fish and a shrimp. the shrimp was fine one morning and half an our later it was dead. I was also rudely and painfully introduced to some worms that I think is called bristle worms. The previous owner gave up on the tank after it was overgrown with a purple algae like substance. Two snails also made their appearance today one of them sitting on the coral that seems to still have a bit of live in it. I had to make a D I Y overflow system consisting of 50 mm p v c pipe. I connected a tube from this to a power head via a non return valve to make sure the overflow starts quick enough in case off a power failure. Any advice will be appreciated. I also use a canister filter that seems to leak allot.
This forum has been a lot off help all ready thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Hi Kender, welcome to MASA - glad you joined. I suggest you read the article in my signature on starting a marine tank. The info will help you a lot regarding the basics. Enjoy ;)

Hello Kender

I suggest you take a drive down to one of the local sponsors, Pet Stop Moot area(sorry they closed currently due to fire) or Dorry Pets Centurion.

Without your wallet :)

Go and find out, see how systems should be, learn a lot. Do not try to be smart, experience count.

And Welcome

Hi Guys. I sort of got the contents of a marine tank as a gift. Basically I was thrown into the deep end, not complaining, but I have to learn FAST. I used some stuff lying around the house to quickly build a stand and then went and bought a secondhand tank (not a good idea as per post from this site). I now have a 1200 x 450 x 450 tank. its been running for a month now but as you may surmise, not without casualties. I will be asking lots of questions if you guys don't mind, but I really need to learn fast. The contents that I got given includes 4 clown fish, 2 blue fish with yellow tails, that i don't know the names of yet, two corals that I don't know the names off but both seems to be dead, one is still have some small white polyps on it so I still feed it with the hope of it recovering. I also took all the water from the original owner as well as a protein skimmer, 2 foot sump and pump. I installed tree lights in the tank two of them consisting of one side white and one side blue light. I have lost so far one clown fish and a shrimp. the shrimp was fine one morning and half an our later it was dead. I was also rudely and painfully introduced to some worms that I think is called bristle worms. The previous owner gave up on the tank after it was overgrown with a purple algae like substance. Two snails also made their appearance today one of them sitting on the coral that seems to still have a bit of live in it. I had to make a D I Y overflow system consisting of 50 mm p v c pipe. I connected a tube from this to a power head via a non return valve to make sure the overflow starts quick enough in case off a power failure. Any advice will be appreciated. I also use a canister filter that seems to leak allot.
This forum has been a lot off help all ready thanks for the help.
The clown that died was killed by the other clowns in the tank, will they keep on killing each other?. Should I kill the bristle worms( there is at least 3 that is bigger than 24 cm in length ), or can I through them in the sump?

The clown that died was killed by the other clowns in the tank, will they keep on killing each other?. Should I kill the bristle worms( there is at least 3 that is bigger than 24 cm in length ), or can I through them in the sump?

Clowns can be very territorial, that's why it is best to add only two of the same species in a medium size tank. One can add more in a BIG tank where each has its own little area.
You sure on the size of the worm? 24cm? That's nearly a school ruler length :eek:
I know they can get big, but not so quickly :p
They are scavengers and eat detritus and left over foods ,etc. Part of a clean up crew. They will also consume dead inverts, corals, fish...
Don't touch them, irritating sting caused by very fine hair.

Hi and welcome to MASA.

Back
Top Bottom