New nano

Reaction score
Hello to all,

My main display tank (65 g) is coming along nicley. I have realised however that this is going to take a little longer to complete than expected. So rather than rush things I've made peace with the fact that the main tank will only be ready by March next year.

In the meantime though , I've decided to invest in a Boyu TL-450 Nano. Just picked it up today.

Now I have a few questions :

1. The filter compartment at the back ( currently ceram rings and some bio-balls). What should ideally be placed inside ?

2. For the substrate I got crushed coral sand from the LFS. According to the LFS this will be fine as a substrate. I'm not convinced though. The particles are pretty large and coarse ,and will the crushed coral not influence the calcium and hence the pH ?

3. Do I need an additional powerhead or similar for increased flow ?

4. Do I start cycling with LR immediately, or do I allow the tank to run for a week and then add the LR ?

Hello to all,

My main display tank (65 g) is coming along nicley. I have realised however that this is going to take a little longer to complete than expected. So rather than rush things I've made peace with the fact that the main tank will only be ready by March next year.

In the meantime though , I've decided to invest in a Boyu TL-450 Nano. Just picked it up today.

Now I have a few questions :

1. The filter compartment at the back ( currently ceram rings and some bio-balls). What should ideally be placed inside ? Remove all of that and put some carbon in there - Chem elite or something simular

2. For the substrate I got crushed coral sand from the LFS. According to the LFS this will be fine as a substrate. I'm not convinced though. The particles are pretty large and coarse ,and will the crushed coral not influence the calcium and hence the pH ? Detritis gets trapped and build up between the particles causing high nitrates later on, use very fine sand, only one inch thick.

3. Do I need an additional powerhead or similar for increased flow ? Yes, I would get a small Seio M620/820 or simular pump

4. Do I start cycling with LR immediately, or do I allow the tank to run for a week and then add the LR ?
If you make the salt mixture inside the tank then I would say get the temp and salinity right before adding the live rock. Run for 24hours or so. If the water is pre mixed to the correct salinity then I can't see why not ;)

Thanks Tobes,

Stupid question : Is it possible to have a DSB of some sort in a nano ?
May sound like an overkill, but I'm just curious as to whether it can be done

I've seen a guy that took everything out at the back and modified the pump chamber etc. He then cut off/removed the plastic cover on the back of the nano to let a light shine through the glass. He then filled it with sand and put chaetomorpha algae on top of the sand. The light could stand outside on the same surface at the back of the nano.

Oh, forgot - it then worked like a little refugium ;)

Just another question regarding the powerheads.

I see the Seio M620 is rated at 2400l/h. Now, will this not create such a strong flow in my little 60liter nano by "blowing" everything away?

Hi Apollo, err, yeah, i think the 2400lph might just be a bit too hot for you, whilst 40x turnover isn't overly mad, coming from one point it will be too much, two smaller powerheads of 1000lph would give much better flow, save the M620s for the bigger tank.

Thank Warr. So if I understand you correctly, I can have filter floss , LR pieces and carbon for the compartments ?

Yeah just make sure the floss is replaced regularly or it will become a nitrate factory

Back
Top Bottom