New Nano Test Results

Discussion in 'Nano Tank advice' started by Shanie, 1 Mar 2008.

1. Shanie

Shanie

[​IMG]Hi Guys,
    My New Nano 128 Litres (Boyu).
    Has been running for 3 days now .
    with only cured live rock and Aragonite as substrate.
    I took chemical tests today an would appreciate some advice as to what to do next.
    The results are as folows: Free ammonia = 0,01 mg/L
    Total ammonia = 0,05 mg/L
    Nitrite = 0
    Nitrate = Almost 0
    PH = 8,0
    Alkalinity = 2 meg/L (Seems A Bit Low???)
    Specific Gravity was fine .

Can i add 2 hermits and a Damsel Maybe. Or should i wait a week and test again.
    Or should i wait for the ammonia to spike ,
    Or should a buy a chemical called "Cycle to start the process and increase the bacteria.

[IMG]http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh280/Shanejanine/IMG_1106.jpg[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: 1 Mar 2008
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi Shanie, the live rock should start the cycle for you, and please dont add a Damsel(its considered cruel although they are tolerant to higher nitrates than normal its still not ideal for them), give it some time and test once a week.

Here is a worthwhile read
    Cycling Your Tank - Marine Aquariums of South Africa - wiki

4. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

To be expected - it's only starting to cycle.

2meq/l is about 6dKh - a bit low, but nothing serious.

What exactly is "fine"?

Wait at least 6 weeks before adding anything.

With live rock in the tank it's really not necessary to add Cycle, but it won't harm anything if you really want to add it - even if you do, still wait AT LEAST 6 weeks before adding ANYTHING.

5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

It's a long wait but it's worth it, once you hit 6 weeks you can pretty much be rest assured that your tank is ready for stocking.

6. Shanie

Shanie Thread Starter

Thanks Guys . i will try to stick it out 6 weeks. Anything i can do to tank in the mean time. Do i leave the light on or off ??

7. Shanie

Shanie Thread Starter

Forgot to ask. Did you get the pics???

8. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Yip, can see the tank next to the TV :)

9. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Yes, start looking for a bigger tank :whistling:

Your choice - with lights on you could have some algae growth (not so good...) but you will also maximise the chances of any light-needing organisms to survive. Personally, I would keep the lights on.

Hennie

10. Sparky

Sparky

Hey, if its any help, I'm also pretty new. I left the lights on for 12 hours a day, and my LR just seemed to flourish. Just lately though (about 12 weeks) I've started to get algae growth, so cut the lights to 8 hours and it seems to have come right again.

11. Alfie

Alfie

:lol: :lol: :lol:

12. Alfie

Alfie

I have found Seachem Stabilize to be great to add good bacteria to a tank in the early stages.

13. Matt

Matt MASA Contributor

Really nice nano Shanie! I've got a 90L JBJ Nano Cube, would love an extra 38L!

As said before, you're already at the beginning of your cycle! I would cycle with the lights on during the day 8-10 hours (is what I had), you will get some algae / diatom growth but this is normal and should subside. The LR is enought to cycle the tank, don't bother buying any products to "kick start it" - besides, you never know WHAT they contain exactly - don't add junk to your water you don't need.

Also appx 6 weeks is pretty good advice but you've got a test kit so rather watch the cycle. Mine cycled fully in 3 weeks, so do your tests every other day and once it has fully cycled, add some CUC (clean up crew), the wait another week then slowly start adding other livestock.

Remember patience is the name of the game, they say that nothing good happens quickly in this hobby ;)

What do you plan on putting in the tank?

I will be watching your thread ;)

14. Matt

Matt MASA Contributor

Oh a few more tips.

1) What are you running in your rear compartments? Most people remove the bioballs etc because they often can get clogged with detritus and turn into a nitrate trap. I personally keep live rock rubble in my rear chambers to help with my biological filtration.

Some people on other forums have also turned part of their rear chamber into a small refugium for pods and chaeto (once again to help lower nitrates), you can read up on that though.

2) Your aquascaping - It looks quite nice but try keep it away from glass on the sides (makes it REALLY hard to remove algae that grows on the glass)

3) Also in larger tanks they never lean their rocks on the back (because it is glass and the unnecessary stress on the glass could cause it to fault, luckily we have a plastic "false" wall, which can handle a it (I have my rocks stacked up against the back wall aswell) - however I do recommend buying a small powerhead and place it so their is water flow between the back wall and the rocks - this just helps prevent detritus build up and any nitrate issues developing in the future.

4) I would also upgrade the stock pump to improve the flow in the tank or buy a powerhead to put in the tank to create a bit more flow (depending on money, if you want an affordable and reliable pump i'd go for a SEIO (M620), if you can afford it i'd get a Tunze Nanostream 6025 (PM George from Aqua Africa as he's a supplier). That way you won't have any dead spots in your tank thus detritus won't be a problem.

Good luck, enjoy and take it slow :thumbup:

I'm up far too late to be replying with large posts. hehe

viper357 likes this.
  15. Warr7207

Warr7207

Watch that LR come alive. As thingies start growing send us pics. Some will be good and some bad. Ask Matt, he got loads of both with his Nano.

Try and check if you got any hitchhikers like crabs, if can be a problem as they often are fish predators

16. Matt

Matt MASA Contributor

Yeah, like Warr said, on my LR I found 3 crabs and a Mantis Shrimp! They would've all grown huge and killed any livestock of mine - so do a little night watching for anything like that.

With that said I also got some awesome free hitchhikers with my live rock: Paly's, Orange Ric's, Maroon Mushrooms, Xenia, Unidentified zoa's, tons of feather dusters (including a tiny bright red one), and lately an orange coral thats still unidentified ;)

Here's a shot of my tank after 2 months: Notice the extra powerheads up top for more flow (i've got about 30x flow in my nano), as well as the powerhead in the bottom corner (which has been replaced for a smaller one) which blows any detritus out from behind the rocks)

[​IMG]

17. ZeroCool

ZeroCool

hi Matt, I read your whole thread. Wow, first of all, stunning tank my friend.

I bought a secondhand TL550 (and i think you have the same model).

First of all, did you remove all the bio balls and ceramic rings ?
    Secondly, do you think powerheads make a big differnce ?

I have an algae break out, and i urgently need help.

Can I maybe email you ?

Regards

Recent Posts