New Nano startup

Discussion in 'Nano Tank advice' started by PeterL, 18 Apr 2010.

1. PeterL

PeterL

I 2 have a smallish tanks (empty), sitting in my office at home, they are crying out to be turned into nano's instead of dusk collectors. I then have another 2ft tank, currently my refugium which is going to become free soon too.

How much work is it to get a nano up and running? It is basicaly the same thing as setting up a large tank or more complex due to it;s size? I don' know anything about Nano's at this stage ad just thinking about it a lillt before I dive into it and just create large problems for myself.

The though was to put the tank on my desk in the office to give me something good to look at, I am not going to do anything until I have a whole bunch of info about them and the filter systems surrounding them.

I have an Atman External filter (450L/h), it was a thought to maybe make use of that as the main filter setup but am not sure how it will do. I definately need some help and advice before I do anything

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

my brain is way faster than my fingers...the begining should read - I have 2 smallish tanks...

One is 460(L) x 320(W) x 330 (H)
    other is 460(L) x 225 (W) x 320(H)

Both have plastic canopies, not specifically going to use them, depends on lighting, which I haven't even given any consideration to. The larger of the two has glass sliders on top

4. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Doesn't seem to be too many people into nano systems...

5. FransSny

FransSny

Zombie, quite easy to modify these tanks int a nano setup.

I would use tank 1 (bit wider) build a 3 chamber filter that fits into the back and bob is your new uncle !

6. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Thanks Frans, I like that idea actually...
    I have some spare glass I could potentially use to create the partions required.

and as far as filter matter is concerned?
    I have come across these nano's with nothing but coarse sponges taking out the "chunkies" and after that a bag of nitrate filter or phosphate matter and then some ceramic rings...I have actually see this on more than one occasion but one of the tanks I saw this week-end has been running for more than 2 yrs like that and doing well.

Do you guys have alternates to try or is this sort of thing common practice on a nano system?

7. FransSny

FransSny

I am going to use sponges in first chamber (larger particles) , chemical in 2nd (something like chemipure and return 3 rd

Hope this helps , I will post a pic soon of the pico thats up for grabs...unfortunately dropped a pane of glass yesterday so have to re do one side

8. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

Nice, so the setup of it is actually going to be easier than I first assumed, I have the makings to get the tank running - week nights are not so easy for me because we are usually busy, but I will post pics as soon as I have time to get into the first process of the build...

What sort of lighting would one commonly use?

ooh, not cool...sure you were not happy when that happened.

9. FransSny

FransSny

I am going to use the same ones as in Buyo TL series (being a prize for a kid makes me believe SPS is a while off !), you could also look at LED

10. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

That could be a thing, I would like to experiment a litte and get the LED thing going on...

Those can't be that expensive to have setup and they are super bright.

11. Evo R

Evo R

Any updates?

Recent Posts