New Nano Design

Reaction score
Hi Guys

As some of you might be aware I am getting very frustrated with my tank, and am thinking of sort of starting over. I don't want to go bigger as I want to use all existing equipment and rock etc. I basically want to do a transfer.

My idea is to get a new tank stand and sump built and then one weekend move everything over.

So I have started putting together the design of the tank as seen in the image below. I want this to be the best design for a tank I can come up with that incorporates all the better tech.

tank001.jpg

So as you can see, it is still nano (mght be pushing the limits here) with a overflow chamber where I want to install two 50mm Durso outlets. In lets will be at the top on each side of the overflow. I also want to include a closed loop system to keep the back of the rocks clean and fresh.

Will still include power heads / wave makers on bot sides of the tank for more circulation.

Any comments, thoughts and ideas.

Ta,

Ross

Looks good Ross. Only thing I would maybe change is to have the bottom holes slightly higher.

Why not make it a little wider? Will be better for aquascaping ;)
Unless you need to stick with those sizes either because you already got the stand or for volume. If about the volume, maybe make it a little lower to compensate for the width?
Looks good, like the idea of a smallish high tech system!

Looks good Ross. Only thing I would maybe change is to have the bottom holes slightly higher.

Great, would get final dimensions closer to the build time. Maybe more holes a little higher could also be good so that I got a lot of flow at the back??

Why not make it a little wider? Will be better for aquascaping ;)
Unless you need to stick with those sizes either because you already got the stand or for volume. If about the volume, maybe make it a little lower to compensate for the width?

At the moment the width is just to sort of fit it in where the current tank is but it is not set and I would prefer more volume. Once I have a design for the closes loop and its pumps I can figure out how far it will stick out from the wall (If that makes sense) and finalize the width.

looks very cool man, go rimless starfire with black silicone, it'll look awesome for just a little more $$$ :)

looks very cool man, go rimless starfire with black silicone, it'll look awesome for just a little more $$$ :)

Will deff be gong starfire on the front panel, not sure if it will be worth it on the sides and the back must be black. Never thought of black silicone.

If I go rimless, how will I put glass panes on the top to keep my fish from doing the bungy superman thing.......

i'd personally go STARFIRE front and sides (you'll be glad you did)

it's always a risk going open top & rimless but the modern look is beautiful and it runs cooler than having a bulky canopy

that's just MHO

you can do this to prevent carpet surfers :lol:: Carpet Surfer Mesh - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Last edited:
Looks good - go wider and I suggest you look at Punk's overflow...looks very interesting..maybe give it a bash..

Hi Ross, i reckon the inlets are too close to the overflow. In my minds eye i see the water flowing from the inlets towards the front of the tank and back towards the overflow. Are you going to put elbows inside the tank to direct the water away from the overflow?2 50mm durso's are going to take up alot of space, i dont think you need to go that big unless you planning on connecting a pool pump to the system.

Hi Ross, i reckon the inlets are too close to the overflow. In my minds eye i see the water flowing from the inlets towards the front of the tank and back towards the overflow. Are you going to put elbows inside the tank to direct the water away from the overflow?2 50mm durso's are going to take up alot of space, i dont think you need to go that big unless you planning on connecting a pool pump to the system.

Would you put them at the outside?
I was thinking of a spray bar on each side for the length of the tank.

Yeah the 2 x 50mm might be a little overkill. I am liking Punks overflow and will try incorporate that now.

Looking good Ross.

I would go CTC overflow. It means that the length of overflow area is longer so a thinner stream of water will flow over the overflow. Also a larger surface area will be skimmed from the surface.

I'd also move the holes for the closed loop higher, all of them.

For a 900mm setup I'd also go rimless. With laser cut glass. It looks so much better. It doesn't cost any extra, you just have to wait a little longer.

But looking great. With this much planning it can only be a great success! I love new construction projects :)

I would go CTC overflow. It means that the length of overflow area is longer so a thinner stream of water will flow over the overflow. Also a larger surface area will be skimmed from the surface.

Maybe make the overflow full length of the tank Punk style.
The only prob then is what about closed loop unless I just punch through the back and the overflow.

yeah ctc gives you a bit more piece of mind as to fish trying to slide usharka theme park style down your overflow......

Ok guys, here is a second option using the Punk Overflow.
Pane about 10mm from the back pane.
Outlets on the outside of the tank.
Then I was considering numerous inlets down the sides of the tank with nozzles that could be used to direct the flow from the closed loop.

FishTank002.jpg

Here is a top view to try show the overflow

FishTank002_top.jpg

Um you will also notice even though there are no dimensions, this tank is starting to get bigger, and closet to a cube.

Definatly Starfire, Rimless with black silicone. :thumbup:

wow Ross starting to look awesome dude!!!

PS. it's not a Punk overflow, it's an Idol Marine (a.k.a. Adriaan de Beer) overflow :lol:

just check the center brace in the overflow box, it should allow water to flow through like this:
DSC01056.gif

also leave enough space on the sides of the overflow box in you need to mount pumps later on...

also, just my humble opinion again, usually CLS's are noisy buggers (just ask hotdog :lol:) and they're not nennie safe anyways

if i had to run a CLS i'd let it blow out the detritus from under my rocks and i won't rely on it for pure flow, in my new setup i have 1 CLS that only comes on every hour for a short while that blows the rubbish out from under my rocks

why don't you just keep it simple and clean (the modern way!) and just invest in 2 tunze nano streams, you'll have incredible flow and it'll look very very clean

cheers
ant

Man that is awesome!!! Cubes are so kewl.

I was thinking that a Closed Loop might be overkill and maybe invest in some good wave makers would be a better idea. Also the idea of all those extra connections just makes me worry about more places ot get leaks.

Maybe I can afford some VorTEch pumps and controllers.

Maybe I can afford some VorTEch pumps and controllers.

that would be awesome man and it would fit into the modern reef theme very nicely but they're crazy expensive at the moment with the R/$ (> R5000 each!)

even if you get 2 SEIO's on a controller as a start would be very cool

Back
Top Bottom