New Nano 24 gallon owner

Reaction score
Hi All
Browsing the internet looking for info on nan 24 Gallon tanks and came accross this website.

Hopefully you guys can help us out in getting our little baby off the ground successfully.

Been running the tank now for 8 days.

got about 7kg live rock.

A couple of questions I need some help with:

1. What is the ideal temp to run the water at?
2. I was told to run the tank with sand, live rock and sea water for six weeks. Do nothing in these six weeks. Test water for nitarate and amonia levels at about 4 weeks. Is this adivse correct?
3. After six weeks, add a clean-up crew for about two weeks before adding fish. Is this also correc?

Thanks all, waiting for the your replies and advise.

Cheers

:wave2:

Hello peanut. Welcome to MASA
Ideal temp i think is about 26 degrees.
The advice is correct. Make sure the nitrate level is low before adding the cleanup crew.
Which pet shop did you buy the NANO tank from?

In these next few weeks you should however read as much as you can about Marine tanks, go through the threads and get yourself clued up. All sorts of different styles, you can have fish only or you can have corals and fish. Each has its own requirements.

Welcome to the forum Peanut, yip advice is all good there :thumbup: Show us some pics of your new baby.

Thanks for the warm welcomes.

I am struggling with the temp of the water at a the moment. I have been told ideal is 24 -26 degrees.

Have now put in a digital themometer to tell me how the temp is doing.

It has gone as high as 28.2. I have swithced the heater off. last night the temp dropped to 25.9, but today with the UV lights on the temp went up to 27.9.

What impact can this high temps have on the tank in the long-term. Especially when I start putting fish and corals in.

Tx

Mhh what has the temp been like there by you? Lights pumps etc also contribute to heat build up.

Now fans can help but the ideal is a chiller to keep the water temp down.

Mhh what has the temp been like there by you? Lights pumps etc also contribute to heat build up.

Now fans can help but the ideal is a chiller to keep the water temp down.

Quite hot and humid here. Also concerned, because during the day the house is all closed up and gets very hot.

Will monitor the temp during the week, and if it stays high, will get a chiller.

Tx

What equipment did you get with the nano? How are you measuring the waters SG.
Are you running a UV steriliser or did you perhaps mean another kind of light. T5, T8 or Metal Halide?
Post all your tank specs and see if you cant upload some pics.

Welcome To MASA!!

Welcome to MASA.
Yeah it has been hot here in Gauteng so your tank is going to get warm. Our little Nanos feel the changes a lot sooner than the guys with the big tanks. Try a fan in the room but remember you are going to increase your evaporation so get your auto topup sorted.

What sand / gravel are you using in the tank?

Welcome to MASA Peanut. Read and learn as much as you can, ask if you don't know - no matter how simple it may sound... and the main one - be patient ;)

Welcome to MASA !

Temperature control in a nano is a bit of a challenge. I run a 12g nano and I've had to move my tank to a corner of the room where there is no direct sun and where it is not close to any windows. I run two fans ( PC P/supply ) , which are built into the tank canopy. My temperature still fluctuates slightly , but only by 1 deg C or so. The downside of the fans is that it significantly increases the evaporation rate, so I'm having to top up every two days or so.
IMO you want to strive to maintain the temperature as constant as possible, with only a 5% deviation . ( Roughly 1 -1.5 deg C variance). Some creatures are fairly fussy about the temperature range, so it might be good to research the individual requirements of each species, before deciding what to put in your tank.

Please post some pics of your setup

Back
Top Bottom