1. jrwdive

jrwdive

It's not common knowledge, but there is an intention to have more MPAs on the KZN coast. Central Government has set a target of 20% of each marine biozone, with about 15% in no take sanctuaries. A workshop was held on 12th August, but user groups were not well represented. Only scuba divers, spearfishermen and rock and surf anglers had reps there.

A big consideration is protection of the intertidal zone, so it will affect collection for marine tanks. KZN Wildlife have created a new program which indicates where reserves should be placed, but it needs input from people who get their gills wet. There is another meeting in about 3 months and it might be advisable to have someone representing Marine Aquariasts.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi JWRDive - do you subscribe to the SCUBA diving mail list? We get all the news from the "big guns" in the industry, on the SCUBA diving mail listing.... lemme know if you do, or don't subscribe.

I will let you know what the subscription info is.........

There's currently a huge amount of turmoil going on between the MCM and the SCUBA diving industry..... which may, or may not impact the collection for marine aquarists...

4. jrwdive

jrwdive Thread Starter

Hi Jacquesb,

There were reps from the scuba section - both operators and two guys from the scuba organisation. They really tore into MCM about the permits required and what they saw as "paper reserves" with no enforcement. Their main problem was a proposal to make the Aliwal Crown area a sanctuary. This would have barred all entry by any user group. I've had a few emails from them subsequent to the workshop. I'd like to subscribe to the list. What is the address?

The problem is that in much of the area being considered it is proposed that regs be "no take". Scuba and catch and release fishing, but nothing else. Because of that, scuba needs are not exactly aligned with Aquariasts. Further areas might be gamefish only - again no collection of marines. It seems certain that this will be the minimum level for the area from the present Maputaland MPA boundary down to Lighthouse, South of Mapelane. Mapelane is proposed as a complete sanctuary.

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi JWRDive - many thanks for this info man. WOW - that would have been a loss if they got what they wanted, w.r.t the Aliwal Shoal area......

Here's the URL link to click, to join the SCUBA mail listing - I read mostly, but sometimes I participate ;)
    http://lists.stormnet.co.za/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=scuba

Recent Posts