new members please read

Discussion in 'New Members' started by roderigo, 15 Oct 2012.

1. roderigo

roderigo

I find a lot of noobs scared to post there questions on masa all I would like to say is guys don't be afraid there is no stupid questions no one on masa will judge you trust me there is a lot of great ppl that what to help you so feel free and ask away :thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. shaunn

shaunn

"no one on masa will judge you" now that's a Lie that's why i don't post any more

Last edited: 15 Oct 2012
  4. NADEEM

NADEEM

you will always get the guys who know too much, or are a bit aggresive in their approach or whatever.
    But overall, most guys here are very nice guys and very helpful, so i back Roderigo, if you have a question, however stupid you think the question may be, ask it, rather ask it now than make the mistake later, you will get the help on this forum.

5. roderigo

roderigo Thread Starter

Hay bud I'm sorry you had a bad experience I've been on masa a more than a year now with no issues .you know there is always some bad apples but I promise you there is much more good ones out there hope this does not hold you back and I hope you can give posting a try ?

6. Fred d

Fred d

I agree with you @saunn ... I would rather check old threads on all the forums than ask advise on here . There are way to many guys that are seemingly "waiting in the wings" to shoot you down . I had a moron telling me he wishes my tank would crash because I put a fish in that in his opinion my aquarium was to small for . I guess its cool because he hides behind the name of a popular softdrink as a username .

In my experience , I am really weary to post for opinions or advise on this forum again

7. bollie

bollie Advanced Aquarist

in a nutshell the guys are strongly opinionated,myself aswell,wen i offer advice i sometimes also have an agressive approach BUT when a newbie askes a question ,he shud be ready for whatever answer comes his way,be it good or bad... if his gna be all prissy then dont ask....

another mistake alot of newbies make is ,they buy a fish then post a pic and ask,"did i make a bad decision" or "i just couldnt help myself" or the most common,"my girlfrient bought it without my knowlege" ,"my friends tank crashed and i didnt have a choice".......YES we know all the excuses in the book and yes we were once in the chooky aswell, i think i still am:lol: ..... but we learn and try and guide others, and if you knw you were wrong and 'get scolded' for it,suck it up and move on..........

HOW ELSE DO YOU LEARN IF YOU DONT ASK AND MAKE MISTAKES:blush:

8. Marine007

Marine007

So this thread didn't go the way it was designed.

For all new members - I think it is easy to see that you can post your questions and comments and you'll get all views on it (even though they are contradictory from time to time!)

I've found the forum to be very useful. There are different opinions always, but I have always been helped when I had problems. I found it useful to track members with similar tanks and to ask questions about what and why they did with their tanks - its a great way to learn.

Bottomline - MASA is a family, and as is every family we do bump heads from time to time, but in the long run we've got your back.

9. NADEEM

NADEEM

HaHaHa, end of the day, take the good advice, use it, and take the kakka with a pinch of salt.

im suprised to hear someone would actually wish a tank crash on another person, wow. but like that now, dont let it put you off too much, rather just forget about it. lifes too short for nonsense.

10. NADEEM

NADEEM

perfect

11. Submariner

Submariner

Best advice i can give.

If someone gives you advice, always look at there tank thread to see there tank.

Obviously if it looks like a Rand water board experiment then look for advice from others with healthier looking reef systems.

Like many professional reefers on the forum i am always available to give advice.

12. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Firstly - many thanks for this Roderigo. I appreciate it.

Unfortunately, Fred_d, and SeanN - with a forum that has more than 5000 members, you are bound to get people that have had their minds set in stone - and unfortunately, these people do believe "it's their way, or the high-way"..... That said - 98% of the members on this forum have learnt hard lessons - and we ALL want the best for both yourselves, as well as the pets you (and we all) are attempting to keep alive in a relatively small glass box - compared to where they are used to living - in a HUGE HUGE HUGE expanse of sea.

Collectively, I do not think that you would find any other website, that is better w.r.t experience, knowledge and free assistance, than what MASA can offer. And yes - I do belong to all to all the other international marine forums as well.

Here - you have South Africans (and quite often very knowledgeable international guests) that are like-minded......

So - I agree fully with Roderigo - there are no such thing as a stupid question. Only the questions you DON'T ask. As "not asking" might cause a LOT more death to our inmates, and might even cost you a LOT more financially in the long run, than what asking would have done.

No-one is perfect - we all make, and HAVE made, all the mistakes that any of you (newbie) can think of making. We have been there - done that - got (and burnt) ALL the proverbial T-shirts!

Please ask - read up - and make an intelligent decision......

13. seank

seank

Just glad my name does not sound like a soft drink (i hope not).......lol
    Shaunn, i was wondering why you went so quiet, your tank still doing ok?

14. Marine007

Marine007

Recently found this story - a bit off topic, but this is the alternative if you don't ask questions ...

The other day I had the opportunity to drop by my department head's office. He's a friendly
    guy and on the rare opportunities that I have to pay him a visit, we have had enjoyable
    conversations. While I was in his office yesterday I asked him,

"Sir, what is the secret of your success?"
    He said, "Two words."
    "And, Sir, what are they?"​
    "Right decisions."​

"But how do you make right decisions?"​
    "One word." He responded.​
    "And, Sir, what is that?"​
    "Experience."​

"And how do you get experience?"​
    "Two words."​
    "And, Sir, what are they?"​
    "Wrong decisions."​

15. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Ditto Submariner! Great old favorite comment!

16. Fred d

Fred d

Thanks for that @jacquesb . Quite right to say what you said . Just one comment ... Critisism is only constructive when there is some form of correction \ advise given . Thanks for all the advise given on this site everybody . Keep it up .

Ps. No sean k . Your name sounds nothing like cocacolaza

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  17. seank

seank

And here i am, working through the alphabet in search of a soft drink name, also a member here.......lol
    Next time i will just ask for the name...he he

18. NADEEM

NADEEM

lokl, i was also tryna figure out the name

19. bollie

bollie Advanced Aquarist

what ever happen to that guy? he had one very nice up and coming

20. Fred d

Fred d

Generally speaking @bollie I think its quite sad . These guys seem to have so much know how but their attitude prevents them from being a positive influence on other's lives

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  21. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

if i may chime in here...
    too many people start of by stating the negative in the situation, instead of helping out with what he has..
    remove this, you wasted on that, buy this, do it like this, my replies are generally trying to help with what they have, yes sometimes its not always the case, but to start saying he/she was ripped off, sold the wrong thing, provide a solution not another problem, and speaking to many newbies in lfs's and meetings thats mostly the case...

but in general most try to help, just need to use the subtle approach

Recent Posts