Discussion in 'New Members' started by Easy Tiger, 23 Mar 2009.

1. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Day Dreamer Deluxe

Hi all - firstly thanks for an amazing website with tons of info. It's good to be here, and hope to learn a LOT from you guys.

Can I just jump straight in with questions or do I need to assign them to a specific forum/topic ?

Thanks
    ET

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jaak

Jaak

Welcome to MASA!!

Tell us more about your system or the system you're planning. Maybe you can start with some of your questions in the beginner discussions forum.

4. Tony

Tony

Introduce yourself here then you can start a new thread with your question. BTW, welcome to MASA

5. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA Easy Tiger
    Fire up the questions :)

6. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Thread Starter Day Dreamer Deluxe

Thanks that was QUICK.

I have an existing 270l Display tank with a 120l sump, with fish and crustaceans only. I'm in the process of upgrading lighting, filtration and inhabitants. I am thinking about converting from a ceramic & bioballs set up to a DSB, and could use some advice.

Lighting is being upgraded to be able to support corals. At the moment I am running two very weak T8 75cm tubes.

7. brentnorm

brentnorm

Good idea to make these changes. Just remember to do everything slowly. Dont remove all the ceramic & bio balls all at the same time.

8. crispin

crispin

Hello there EAsy tiger, great that you joined masa:)

its even better to hear that you are planning to upgrade your equipment and not just dropping corrals in!:)

we have lots of very friendly people on masa but the best way to get them to help is to ask questions. dont worry tooo much about getting them in the wrong forums for now, if its way out a mod can move them for you. Just fire away:)

9. ReefMaster_SA

ReefMaster_SA

yeah man , I just joined to. welcome my aquamactic marine friend , Post pics to :peroni:

10. Pete

Pete

:wave2:Hello and welcome to the forum

11. Easy Tiger

Hope I have figured out this image uploader. OK - I think it would be a lot easier if you guys could see the sump.

First chamber is overflow return, some filter floss and the skimmer. It flows under to the next chamber where I have the ceramics ( but the skimmer outlet also flows into here OVER the top too ). Then over into 3rd chamber where bioballs are, under to 4th chamber just has heaters and lastly over into return flow chamber.

I am wanting to install a DSB in chambers 3 & 4, and leave the ceramics as they are for the time being. That would mean a glass pane between 2 DSB chambers - is this a problem? Is using two chamber 3 & 4 big enough for an effective DSB? Is there any problem with running a ceramics chamber followed by a DSB - or do they do the same thing anyway bacteria wise?

12. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

masahello

the ceramics should be removed in time as the are so effective at converting ammonia to nitrite to nitrate, but thats where they stop, so they land up adding more nitrates over time. i would start removing say 5-10% every fornight once the dsb is in place to that the biological filters can grow.

13. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA Easy tiger, hope you enjoy it here with us. Feel free to ask as many questions as you like - our advice is free, so even ask before buying something ;)
    I'm also a fan of a DSB as it is a little eco system all on its own. As mentioned, slowly get rid of the bio-balls and ceramic rings.
    Can you post us you water parameters? Do you have your own RO filter or do you buy from the petshop?

14. Warr7207

Warr7207

Hello and welcome to the forum

15. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

masahello

16. Easy Tiger

Thanks guys for your advice on DSB's. I am going to start with it this weekend.

Tobes, my latest parameters are :

Temp : 26c
    SG : 1.022
    PH : 8.2
    NH3 : 0.25
    NO2 : 0
    N03 : 10

Although the ammonia and nitrate go up and down in small increments, the nitrite is ALWAYS 0 . Starting to suspect a faulty piece of kit maybe?

Should I be slowly increasing SG in order to make it a happier place for corals? Remember tank is fish only right now, but want to get corals in there asap.

New lights and power heads being added this weekend too - I'll try and post some pics once done.

17. Easy Tiger

Sorry Tobes just saw your last question . Yes, I have a RO unit at home.

18. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA, Easy Tiger! Great to have you on-board! Awesome that you have found MASA, and joined us!

Please ask as many questions as you need to, to become the BEST REEFKEEPER that you can become!

Please have a look around our other "New Members" threads - as well as read as many of our "Members tanks and Setups" threads!

You will learn one HECK of a lot. Please ask the questions you WANT to ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question. The only stupid question is the one NOT ASKED!

Good luck with your journey in REEFKEEPING! I becomes a LIFE STYLE! Enjoyu it!

19. Easy Tiger

Can anyone give me an opinion on acceptable temperature variations ? I upgraded my lighting a week ago to 1 x 150w MH 12000k and 2 x t5's.

I'm getting an increase of around 3 degrees during the day when the lghts are on (up to 28c ), and then at night it drops to around 25c when the lights are off.

I had two floaters in the tank this morning- both Gobys. Water parameters are normal when I tested now. I was wondering if the temperature fluctuation was the cause... ? Or maybe they did not adjust nicely to having way more light than before?

20. Warr7207

Warr7207

The temp. variation doesn't sound too bad, but i wouldn't go any wider. maybe set your heaters to kick in at 25° C

Fish dying is normally from huge temperature swings, lack of O² or High Ammonia levels.

And lastly starvation.

What gobies were they ?

21. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Welcome

Recent Posts