Hey guys,i've got my mandarin for about 2 weeks and i am pleased to say that 2 days in a row i've watched him eat frozen blood worm.:)

Thanks Jacquesb but for some reason my 2 banghai cardinals have each taken a corner in the tank and only move when i feed them,well the good thing is that they are eating.

Hi All

Thanks for the nice welcome and advice, I will send pic as soon as the cam batteries are charged. Yes crispin i test the SG once a day and it measures to 1.023 I measure it with a hydrometer not the floating tipe this one looks like a triangle that you scoop water into.i have got a OR unit.No i dont have a test kit yet, but i take sample water every saterday to the local pet shop for testing they test at this stage only PH and nitrite,the PH is 8.2 and nitrite 0 reading.i buy salt water at the pet shop. is that for water cvhanges, or did you get the full +-800l from them to start as well.

do you top up with RO?

My sump has got 5 compartments, the first compartment host the Reeftek protein skimmer (nice skimmer from what i hear:)) second compartment is filled halfway with silica sand and crused coral,third and forth compartments are filled with filter floss and soft rock (whats soft rock?)and last compartment host the return pump a AP4660 145w 4800l/h.

In the tank base i got crused coral ( how thick a layer? and more importantly how big are the particles?) and 4.5kg live rock (going to need lots more but good to start:)),2x Seio 1100GPH/4400L/h flow pumps and 1x Resun 15000 wave maker produces 3 different waves. (nice pumps, might like to add one or two more depending on what you keeping, but good start:))Lights is 2x T5 and 2x Metal halide lamps (any idea on MH watts? How far from water surface are they?), The metal halide lamps woks from 11H00 to 15H00 and the T5 from 7H00 to 21H00.

O and my mistake the fish its a Fox Face.

sounding good over all phillip:)

glad to know you have a fish that actually likes algae and not hunts pods:) but incase you arent awear do take care of the fox faces top spines, can be very painful indeed.

thanks crispin

No the hole 800L i got and for cvchanges, my OR system delivers about 24l per day yes i do top up with OR water when i see that the SG goes up near to 1.026 I add about +-10L OR water every second day. The light are about 150mm from the water.

Hey guys i bought a polario dual action pump two days ago but i do not really like it i used it for about 10 minutes and then boxed it.Is any one using it with joy ? I'm thinking of getting rid of it,it's way too powerful and big for my juwel 180.

Hey guys i bought a polario dual action pump two days ago but i do not really like it i used it for about 10 minutes and then boxed it.Is any one using it with joy ? I'm thinking of getting rid of it,it's way too powerful and big for my juwel 180.

I am using one, awesome, awesome pump. What size is your tank ? Maybe 12000L / h is too much flow for your tank

Yes Warr,there is way too much flow,this pump's flow rates up to 22000LPH.I thought i could tone it down a bit for my 180l tank but was wrong.All that flow rate made me greedy so i bought it.

Yeah, way too much for 180L. It is insane in my 550. So I would suggest trying to get a refund or re-selling.

Philip, topping up every second day can be quite dangerous to your PH and a whole bunch of different params. SG should be kept as constant as possible, try and get yourself or make your own auto topup unit to keep the salt gradient constant.

Hey guys i'm sad to say something has eaten my mandarin.I saw pieces of what could have resembled him.Will a coral shrimp attack cause the other fish are way smaller than him ?

Hey guys i'm sad to say something has eaten my mandarin.I saw pieces of what could have resembled him.Will a coral shrimp attack cause the other fish are way smaller than him ?

Are you talking about this guy ?

p-78426-shrimp.jpg

If yes, he will try nip the fish if he swims into his territory but won't go and hunt him down.

Chances are the Dragonet starved to death if he wasn't eating prepared food. These creatures need a large amount of live pods from your live sand and rock to stay alive and they not as good at hunting as their competition (wrasses, hermits, shrimps)

Back
Top Bottom