Reaction score
I'm a new member and looking to start a marine tank. have tropical fish but know nothing about marine tanks so I need to learn in a hurry!! Then I need to find a tank that won't break my meagre bank account. Where do I start?:slayer:

dallasg

Reaction score
masahello

hey!
welcome to the best hobby and website on the planet :)

well there are numerous threads in the beginners forums about starting etc, all the major topics are in sticky threads in their categories.

the trick with this hobby is patience and learning, here you will find one big happy family that will answer every question you have

first thing is to decide what you would like to keep, then how big a tank, then we go from there

Apollo

Clownfish
Reaction score
Hi Cathryn,

Welcome to MASA.

The best way to start off is by reading as much as you can about marines. There are numerous threads ans sticky's posted in the New Members and Beginner discussions forum, as dallas has already mentioned to you.

I would suggest you have a look at these threads. It will give you some good ideas and maybe also help you to decide how you want to proceed.

In terms of a tank , that would depend on what you are looking at keeping
Only fish , fish with corals etc.

In this hobby it pays to be very patient. Don't rush things as you will end up making a mess of it and this alone can be very demoralising.

Having said that though : This is probably the most rewarding hobby there is .

Ask as many questions as you like and ... Enjoy !:)

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to MASA Cathryn, here is a shortcut to some info - please read it and learn as much as you can Starting a Marine Tank - Beginner Discussions

Don't learn "in a hurry", take your time. Reefkeeping is al about patience - eg if you set up a new tank you have to let it run for 4 - 6 weeks before you can add fish or invertebrates. Only BAD THINGS happen "in a hurry" in marine tanks.

Enjoy the hobby - it's very rewarding! ;)

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Cathryn, Welcome to MASA.

We have a for sale section, you might pick up a bargain or two to help you.

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Nothing is done in a hurry in the marine hobby, take your time and enjoy.
BTW welcome to MASA.

tankgirl

Hermit Crab
Reaction score
hello! welcome to masa, ive just started too so your not alone :thumbup:

Jaak

Foxface
Reaction score
Welcome to MASA!!

Jaak

Foxface
Reaction score
Welcome to MASA!!

crispin

Kingi Angel
Reaction score
hello Cathryn,
Welscome to masa, quite honestly this is the best place to start:)

the best advice to someone just starting out is to plan, share youre thougfhts with us and let us help you, as a group we are all passionate about marines and love to see new people start out, so ask questions....especially about the price of things and let us guide your through it. in no time at all you will be flying :)