Reaction score
HI ALL.

NEW TO MASA

HAVE A BOYU TL550 NANO TANK, UPGRADED THE UP PUMP ADDED A CANISTER FILTER
ON HTE SIDE, UPGRADED THE LIGHTING TO 4xT5 24W, ADDED A DOLPHIN COOLING UNIT, IT CONTAINS 5KG KENYAN LIVE ROCK, 5KG FIJI LIVE ROCK.

INHABITANTS
2 x HERMIT CRABS
1 x HECTORS GOBY
2 x CLARKS CLOWN FISH
TONS OF SNAILS.

TANK HAS BEEN RUNNING 4+ MONTHS PARAMETERS ARE GOOD.

NOW FOR THE STUPID PART, BOUGHT AN ANEMONE AND IT IS JUST LIEING AROUND.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

1412493ce3acc04da.jpg

A very WARM WELCOME to MASA Regis...... Jip - a wee bit too soon for adding an anemone in your tank. The reason why it is "just lying around", is because the nemmie is not happy.

I have found that if you place your nemmie in between the cross streams of power-heads, and the nemmie is a rock liking nemmie, having your nemmie high up close to the light on rock, it stays put....

According to the pics, that nemmie you have is a condylactis passiflora.... an "atlantic long tentacled anemone" (or atlantic purple tip anemone)...... I hope for your sake that your clowns will take into hosting in it.

Condy's are not natural hosting anemone's for clown-fish - but then again, we have had clown-fish host in soft-corals.... :)

Your tank sounds great other wise.... and according to the pics - it looks quite good too.....

Just remember that you SHOULD feed your nemmie at least once a week, with pieces of lance-fish, or perhaps mussel-meat, or alternatively, pink shrimp - where the pieces are NOT larger than 1cm.....

The other "basic" requirements of a nemmie:
- good water flow
- VERY good intense lighting
- pristine water conditions (reef conditions)
- feeding
- to be placed either on rock (if it is a rock loving nemmie) or in the sand (IF it is a sand loving nemmie)..... in this case the condylactis wants to be on rock.....

Good luck mate....

Thanks For The Response

My Clowns Host The Nennie About Five Minutes After I Introduced It Into The Tank, The Tank Is About 4 Months Old, My Problem Is The Nennie Will Not Stick To Anything, And At The Moment I Have Switched Off My Wave Makers Otherwise It Blows Around The Tank. I Have To Boyu Wavemakers.

Welcome to MASA. It's better to mature a tank at least 6 months before adding a nemmie. Some guys says 12 months. If water parameters are ok, 4 months should not be the end of the world. Not a expert on nemmies, but they are light loving creatures and can live forever in the right conditions.
Can you post water parameters?
Is there reaction when you touch the nemmie?
If you lift it slowly and hold it's foot against the glass it should attach itself, if it's not happy in a certain place, it will move. If there's no reaction when touching the tenticles and the foot is not "sticky" and attaching to the glass, rock, substrate - then the nemmie is dead.

TANK HAS BEEN RUNNING 4+ MONTHS

Much too soon to keep an anemone. Also, 4 x 24W T5's might be a little "light" (pun intended) for an anemone.

PARAMETERS ARE GOOD.

Please define "Good". Water quality might be livable for fish, but quite deadly for inverts - please help us to help you by posting actual test values (and what test kits were used to do the test...)

Just remember that you SHOULD feed your nemmie at least once a week, with pieces of lance-fish, or perhaps mussel-meat, or alternatively, pink shrimp

Agreed, but ONLY after the anemone has settled in. It probably won't eat in it's current sad state, but even if it did it would probably just expel the food again after a while (and in the process would have waster precious energy which it probably does not have to spare, by the looks of it...)

NOW FOR THE STUPID PART, BOUGHT AN ANEMONE AND IT IS JUST LIEING AROUND.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

Your best bet would be to give it to someone with a properly matured tank, either as a gift, or to host it until your tank is ready to keep an anemone alive long-term (perhaps in another 9 months time...

Hennie

Will Post The Water Parameters This Evening, If I Touch The Nennie It Does Respond, Sticks To My Hand (tenticles) Will Try Holding It Gently To The Glass, But Another Issue Is That The Clowns Are All Over It.

HERE ARE MY WATER PARAMETERS (HAGEN TEST KIT)

Calcium 480PPM
Alkalinity 125 ppm
Salinity 1.025
Temperature 26.5
pH 8.1
Phosphate 0
Ammonia 0.1 PPM
Nitrate 0.1PPM
Nitrite 0

Ammonia at 0.1ppm is NOT a "Good" parameter - you should not be able to get any reading with a hobby-type test. what concerns me more, is that your nitrite is "0" whilst you have an ammonia reading. This would indicate that the tank has not cycled completely. Your nitrate reading of 0.1ppm confirms this (by the way, are you sure of that reading - I'm not aware of any "common" nitrate test kit with a resolution of 0.1ppm, although i must admit that I haven't used a Hagen kit in some time...).

Hennie

Regis - the Hagen series of test kits are touted as not being of the "best" test kits around...

Perhaps have your LFS or another fellow reefer close to you (with some other test kits) test you water.... perhaps the results might be different?

And - I agree with what Hennie said - IF you have ANY ammonia reading in your tank at all - you have one of 2 problems: either your tank is not cycled - OR: you have some dying animal in your tank, releasing ammonia.....

And that your filtration system is not up to scratch.......

Welcome to MASA regis.
sounds like you will have a few difficulties with that water as it is at the mo, but ask lots of questions and listen to hennie, there are few better to guide you through the start up of tanks.

That nennie really is in a tank thats not ready for it so he's gonna walk sulk and diminish. the first sugestion of giving him up a while for someone to host really is the nennies best bet:)

Back
Top Bottom