Reaction score
Hi All

Just a quick shout out to everyone at MASA.
After 6 months of having a tropical tank I got bored and
converted it to a marine tank. Thus far I haven't had much
success.

My tank is 900 x 350 x 300, I build in a backbox with perspex, this has the heater, filter wool, bacteria balls(for lack of better technical term) and the return pump.

Do I need live rock for a Fish only tank? how long should I wait before adding fish?

Welcome to MASA Pads.
You won't need the bio balls if you have live rock, but you will need a skimmer for the fish, that and plenty of water movement.
If you do use liverock then you will need to cycle it, this normally takes about a month to allow for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate to reach safe levels before you can add fish.

Hi Pads

Warm welcome to MASA

If you give us a complete description of your setup, I'm sure the guys at MASA will be able to help.
They really helped me.:thumbup:

Is it better to have liverock than an artificial system? Will the growth of the LR spread to other bone rock I have in already?

I have a entry level skimmer by jebo I haven't connected up yet.
I have 2 x 20w fluorescent globes in, 1 marine blue and the other white.
Have a limited budget at the mo. Wasting all my extra cash on car probs.

I've had the system running for about 4 weeks so far. I was advised by the pet store to add a molly, and the molly I put in after 2 weeks is still going strong.

What next? Should I wait longer before adding cleaners or fish.

welcome to Massa, pads:)
always nice too see people come over to the slightly more challanging but greatly more rewarding aspect of marine fish:)

Is it better to have liverock than an artificial system? Will the growth of the LR spread to other bone rock I have in already?

I have a entry level skimmer by jebo I haven't connected up yet.
I have 2 x 20w fluorescent globes in, 1 marine blue and the other white.
Have a limited budget at the mo. Wasting all my extra cash on car probs.

I've had the system running for about 4 weeks so far. I was advised by the pet store to add a molly, and the molly I put in after 2 weeks is still going strong.

What next? Should I wait longer before adding cleaners or fish.

Welcome to the forum.

Live rock is very beneficial to your system, yes the life on the rock will spread to other rocks in your tank.

Jebo skimmers are not very good, but connect it up, it helps to clean the water.

You need to either remove the filter wool or clean/replace it at least every 2 or 3 days.

Adding a molly to cycle a fish tank is a bit outdated and seen as being cruel, wait another couple of weeks before you start adding marine fish. Have you been testing your water for ammonia, nitrates, nitrites?

Do you have a sump?

Welcome :)

welcometomasa!!
If you ask questions when in doubt/trouble and make your own informed conclusions and act accordingly you will end up with a beautiful tank! :thumbup:

:welcometomasa1: to MASA!!!

Pads, do yourself a favour and take out those bio balls that'll end up being a nitrate factory unless you have high flow through them...

Many thanks guys.

I don't have a sump, but looking at some of the other threads it looks like a must.
Space is a slight issue but I'll see what I can do. Also I've bought glass for a new tank but put that on hold til I resolved the space problem.

Maybe its time to put plan A back into action and use the smaller tank for the sump.
The new tank will be 1500 x 500 x 600. Expensive bit is building the cabinet.

Mr

Welcome to MASA pads!

Hi,

My name is Shiraz and am looking forward to be a member of MASA and meeting friends with the same interests. I am taken aback with marine life and appreciate one of God's most beautifull creations. I would be gladly willing to learn and take advise regarding a new small set up. I am proud to be part of the " MARINE" FAMILY.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom