Discussion in 'New Members' started by Adi, 5 May 2008.

1. Adi

Adi

I'm looking at setting up a nano tank due to space constraints. I've got most of the necessary equipment e.g. skimmer, heater, etc so am undecided between getting a "all-in" tank e.g. Boyu or getting a tank built to suit the space available. Any advice regarding pro's & cons of each & if getting a tank built is a better option, any suggestions as to where I can get one of decent quality & reasonable price built in Durban or Pietermaritzburg? Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

Hi Adi, welcome to the forum, i moved you here so you would be seen by more helpful folk

4. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome Adi!
    my choice would be to get a tank built rather than the Boyus.something with a sump.what about a little cube like 600*600*600. you can always modify the tank for lighting requirements etc.... sump can hold macroalgea and keep your skimmer etc in there.

5. Mekaeel

oh yes and a good tank builder would be Eco Aquatics (andrew)

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA Adi! So glad you found us before deciding to start out on your own!
    Cannot really comment on the Boyu's - they sure look awesome - BUT, they are not as flexible when it comes to lighting (adding/changing), water flow, and other filtration....

7. Adi

Adi Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice guys,appreciate it. Will keep you updated regarding my nano's progress

8. Adi

Adi Thread Starter

Hope you guys don't mind but I might pick your brains from time to time whilst setting my nano up as I'm not overly familiar with suppliers, etc in Dbn or Pmb & am on a budget that doesn't allow for much stretching

9. Mekaeel

thats what the forum is all about,questions :)

10. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Welcome to the forum Adi

11. Ocean

Ocean Lazy Sea Slug

Boyu come all in one and i tryed and tested by lots of people and you only make chemical and over stocking mistake
    Custom You can make it how you want is easy to upgrade but there is alot of areas where you can mess up.

And most of rthe opions you are getting are from people that know alot and and would consider bying ready made going a step back, my opion is go with the boyu

12. Adi

Adi Thread Starter

Aah, good point. I really can't afford to make any mistakes especially as my wife gets really sad when any of the little guys die (we used to have green spotted puffers in a brak setup which she loved but the mourning after they died was hectic). Any suggestions regarding a Boyu vs JBJ vs Juwel?

13. All spark

All spark

Hi Adi..also u must look at your budget..I like the AQUAH20 tanks a bit biger more space 2 work with,but may end up more expensive as the ones with canopy are pricy but the ones with out not so mutch,then u must look at lightning t5's and filtration...but it depends on u and what fish or corals u whant to ceap.Mostly nano fish..Clown,Green Chromis,Blennys,ect....

14. sunburst

sunburst

Welcome Adi.

15. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Hi Adi, welcome to MASA, we here to have our brains picked. I really like these new Nano's that are available as they do offer good value for money as an all in one. Personally i would still have one built as i would have a sump with DSB and Cheato for natural filtration and far more flexibility, but that is your decision. The all in one Nano's certainly seem to work fine. The only ones i have had a look at are the JBJ and they seem fairly well thought out and their lighting is fairly decent plus they make a 140L for slightly more water volume which is always a bonus.

16. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi Adi masahello

Recent Posts