Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just came across the forum yesterday and spend the rest of the day on it :)

I am completely new to the hobby (except for a few tropical tank a few years ago) and will be researching for a month or 2 before starting to get a reef tank together.

The forums looks awesome, so much info!

I'll maybe go check out some of the pet stores close to Pretoria this weekend to see what tanks they have. Im looking for a nice stylish tank and cabinet to start with new and then I'll add the rest of the equipment on, maybe some second hand if there's some good deals around. :) Which stores are the best in the Pretoria area? I've seen some marine fish etc at Animal Kingdom at Atterbury Value Mart, but I'm thinking I'll check out Dorry's that I read about here yesterday.

Just one more question (that I'm sure Ill be able to get answered some other thread but there's so much :tt2::
Should I get a sump with 4 compartments if I want to put a skimmer in from the start to fight the algae? I saw some skimmers that clip on the side of the tank as well, which is best? I want to try and do it right from the beginning.

Looking forward to reading a lot more today and getting a plan together.

Cheers

Welcome to MASA!!

Should I get a sump with 4 compartments if I want to put a skimmer in

it all depends on what you plan on keeping and what filtration you plan to have. Try and keep the sump and filtration as simple as possible, generally a three compartment sump is more than enough. Have a look at the Members tanks, decide what you ultimately want to keep and then design sump/fitration around that..and of course take your budget into consideration.

Cooling

Thanks guys,
I think I understand the sump better now that I have read some of the Beginner threads. I will stick to the 3 compartment.

For the guys close to Pretoria: Do you typically have a problem with the tanks getting too warm? Iow, should I budget to get a cooler?

Hi and welcome to MASA.:thumbup:

Don't worry about a chiller rite now. First look at what you are planning on keeping and then start looking at what you are looking to spend. That way you can determine at what size tank you can look for and what equipment to get for it.(Look at the For Sale section as there is a couple of good deals on tanks, equipment etc.) Remember it's all about planning, research and plenty of patience.:thumbup:

If its within your budget, yes get one. Its a really expensive piece of equipment, but to ensure stability, it really is a great investment. Welcome to our forum.
There are cheaper alternatives, one of the other sponsors Idol Marine have an awesome evaporative cooling unit, have a look at this thread: http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=29202&page=2

All dependant on your lighting, as its the largest contributing factor in terms of overheating your tank.

With the current trend toward LED lighting, you should perhaps consider investing in LED lights, which could alleviate the need for a chiller.

welcome to masa and the wonderful world of marine tanks:) its great to see you researching already, time spend planning is well worth it in the end.

Ivan has it spot on with regards a chiller. personally if i lived in pta and could aford a chiller id get one, but its a piece of equipment thats non essencial in the beginning and there are lots of systems you can employ to lower tank temp before you MUST have a chiller.

Thanks guys,
I'm considering starting off with a combo from Dorry's in Centurion. A 1.2m by 60cm by 50cm(H) with sump.
NW-150 Skimmer (Reef Octopus)
Odessey Light Unit 54W Quad
SEIO Prop 1500
Return pump HX 6530
And some xtras

any reviews on the Dorry's tanks?

Thanks guys,
I'm considering starting off with a combo from Dorry's in Centurion. A 1.2m by 60cm by 50cm(H) with sump.
SEIO Prop 1500
Return pump HX 6530
And some xtras

Nice size start-up system. It will give you more than enough opportunity to get your feet wet and learn, without blowing your budget. Many newbies coming into the hobby, outlay huge amounts of cash early on and then decide that the hobby is not for them.

Only things I'd recommend are getting two of the flow pumps (SEIO Props) and not just one, and then also make allowance for an Automatic Top Off unit and RO reservoir (not essential, but does simplify things a little). You can do the RO reservoir now in the sump design and add the ATO later when funds allow if you want it.

Thanks guys,
SEIO Prop 1500
Return pump HX 6530
And some xtras

Dorry Pets have made many good tanks:)

Personally I would look at getting a tank with a little more width to it, around 1.2x0.8x0.65 would be a better size in my view.

That light unit would do fine to begin with, but you may like yto look into LED if they are within your budget.

Nice skimmer

Increase the number of internal pumps, two if you can and try get a seio controller to run them as thus greatly improves water quality later on.

a RO chamber buildt into the sump with a good auto top up would also be a very good idea.

A 1.2m by 60cm by 50cm(H) with sump
That sounds like the combo that they put together, The tank on your left as you enter the shop.

Going for the "standard" tank would be cheaper. As everything is basically on pre-order. Going wider and then stand and cabinet must change as well. So your choice. Plus wider you need another light unit included.

Start with the basics, learn first how to keep things stable.

Only MUST HAVES for now are electronic timers for the lights, and soon adding a ATU unit.

Were you at Dorry Pets?

jup its the same specs as the tank on the left. i was there yesterday
yes since it is the standard one and cheaper i will probably stick to that.
but i think ill get the RO unit and timers as well and then a bit later the top up unit and extra pump as soon as the tank is cycled etc :)
thanks for the advice guys.
i cant wait to start on in but i am moving in 3 weeks so will have to wait and research in the meantime :)

Hi guys,
I was setting up my RO unit and just want to confirm which input/output is which. can you guys tell me from top to bottom the 3 output/input?

IMG_0773.JPG

Back
Top Bottom