New Member.

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Firefly, 2 Jul 2010.

1. Firefly

Firefly

Hi everyone.:wave2:

Was looking for an aquarium forum based in SA, found this one and here I am! :thumbup:
    Work at a wet pets/Nursery and have been in the process of starting a fish only marine aquarium. It's a 3ft-ish home build aquarium I found in the back of the shop in need of some work. Asked the owners and they said I could take it plus some other things:slayer:.
    So now I have five tropical+one breeding tank+ one FO Marine tank nearly set up.
    I have received lots of info from the owners of the shop and love learning more about the aquariums. So thats why I am here.....to learn from forums and start a few myself.

If anymore info is needed let me know;)

Thanks
    Firefly

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

hello there firefly and welcome to the fun part of fishkeeping :)

a 3ft is a nice size tank to start with, what are all the dimensions of it? and what thickness is the glass? does it have any bracing and is the tank drilled for an overflow? I would definatley suggest looking at getting a sump for it (it may have one already?) as that will make life much easier and better for the tanks water quality:)

what other equipment have you managed to collect so far?

any ideas on which fish youd like to keep in there?

welcome to masa, nice to have u join :)

4. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

masahello

5. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

Welcome Firefly!

There is a wealth on knowledge here on the forum and some great advise too

6. Pete

Pete

masahello

7. zubeir joosab

zubeir joosab

:welcometomasa2:

8. Dikdaan

Dikdaan

Welcome to MASA enjoy your stay and dont be afraid to ask questions!!!!

9. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A very WARM WELCOME to MASA, FireFly! Great to have you on-board!

Please have a read through the URL in my thread, about "Starting a marine aquarium".

Feel free to ask as many questions as you need to, to ensure that you become the best marine aquarist/reefkeeper that YOU can be!

10. RUAN

RUAN

welcometomasa

11. Firefly

Firefly Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the greetings.

To crispin: The tanks dimension is 98cm long X 50cm high X 40cm wide and the glass is 6mm with bracing on the length and breadth of the tank. Have been working a sump. Siliconed the pieces in today( was an old 2ft tank also from the owners;)). Thereare no drilled holes but my dad and I have made an overflow system out of electrical conduit. Have a Resun (700 L/PH) power head on the uplift tube of an undergravel filter (I know there is a lot of controversy with them but I have them on all of my tropical tanks and I haven't had hassles yet). Have a protein skimmer but probably won't use it. Still need a return pump and we are going to make a canopy in the next couple of weeks. Have a 300W heater and a hydrometer/thermometer.
    Tank is filled with water and has shingle on the undergravel filter, got the shingle and water from a clean beach. has been settling for about a week now. As for fish, I would like gobies, some wrasse and definitly a gramma, not really a fan of clowns :whistling:. I know it's a small tank but I will try not to overstock it. Will be a fish only tank.

Thanks again for the greeting. My first question.....How do I quote? I know it's a rather silly question and sorry for asking it. If there is a post please let me know :biggrin:.

12. Dane

Dane

theres a little button on the bottom right of the window of every post that says "quote"

13. Dane

Dane

;-) welcome to masa

14. Firefly

Firefly Thread Starter

Oh. thanks :thumbup:

15. Annoying

Annoying

Hey and welcome to MASA!

16. Firefly

Firefly Thread Starter

Heres another quick question.....Is there a sister site that focuses on tropical fish?

17. crispin

crispin

quoteing is easy, just hit the "quote sign" at the bottom of the quote and you can add or edit the other persons post as well. Im gonna do that in blue to your quote above so that you can see what i mean :)

18. crispin

crispin

there is but im afraid i try avoide bath water fish as much as I can, but i am sure singularity or henk hugo will point you there:) it might be TASA, tropical aquariums south africa or something like that....but i am really not sure!

19. Firefly

Firefly Thread Starter

Thanks crispin. I will look into some of the advice you gave me. I will try upload a picture of the tank in it's current state so you can see the sort of shingle I've put in. Spoke to a guy at Finny Flipper (pet shop here) and he said the shingle will be OK. I will definitely keep and eye out for a refractometer. I will research the fish I'm interested in and if they do not suit my tank I will either look at another fish or modify my tank to suit it's needs.

This is after all my first attempt and I'm sure I'll have difficulties as everyone does their first time around and I am one of those sort of people that like to try get things right. The water is just circulating at the moment.:thumbup:

20. Firefly

Firefly Thread Starter

Hi crispin.

Trying to upload pics of the aquarium and SHINGLE:biggrin:
    It's rather fine but please bear in mind that I am a student and I don't have a very big budget so I am trying to make do with hand-me-downs and things I already have. I know the wall is ugly but.....it's ugly.....I'm still trying to get a background I like!
    [​IMG]

Here's the shingle. Its rather fine...like a sand of crushed shells..... Soz. took these with my phone. Will steal my dads camera for a minute at a later stage;)
    [​IMG]

21. Dane

Dane

Hey Firefly,

That is a great size tank to start with! And I know the trials and tribulations of being a student! :)

I would strongly recommened you get rid of the shingle. It will only cause you pain in the future. I use regular beach sand as my substrate and I really like it. It looks nice and natural and the rounded particles provide more surface area for bacteria than reggies playsand, and its free! ;-)

Secondly the undergravel filter is not a good idea at all for marine tanks. They will ultimately act as detritus traps, again this will really cause problems for you in the future. ..

Lastly - I know its a pain in the ass, but if you havent put any fish in yet, I really can't recommend strongly enough that you drill the tank for overflow. If you do it now you will not regret it!

I know it may seem like a huge mission to make all the changes that are being suggested, but I can't push for them strongly enough.

Lastly, the advice from the guys on this board is likely to be far more credible than what you get from your local fish store... I'm not saying that everything you read hear is doctrine, the way my tank is running certainly isnt! But LFS often don't know what they talking about (with a few notable exceptions of our sponsors!!! hahaha)

Recent Posts