Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My name is Enid, I'm so happy :thumbup:that you have a site where I can interact with people that have marine fish of which I know nothing about. I bought my tank yesterday and have a total of 5 clown fish and some coral. I am so excited as it is absolutely beautiful and I really want to get my little marine heaven looking stunning with happy, healthy fish. So I need all the information and advice that I can get. I was told by the people that came and set up the tank that I can only add more fish in 5 days time. I know that collecting marine fish is a very sensitive matter as you need to understand some important things like tempreture of water, lighting, cleaning, what fish to add, food, etc etc so I am keen to hear your comments and where is the best place to get all the beautiful fish and coral. I live in the Fourways area so somewhere close.

Kind regards

Enid

welcome!!
i am near in sunninghill, we can chat anytime and talk reef

hello enid welcome to masa:)

i used to live in Craigavon and know pretty much all the places you can go to get marine things:)

congrats on your first tank, its always exciting and marines really are a wonderful hobby. But be warned there is a HUGE amount to learn in order to look after the fish corals and little inverts we like to put into a reef tank. So PLEASE take your time and research, ask us questions here and we will do all we can to help you along.

there are a few red flags raised already, so you will need to be careful:)

can you answer a few questions for us and lets see if we can help you along a little ok? :)

what size is the tank, as in length depth and height?
Total vollume in L
Any Live rock in there (if you arent sure of the things we ask about then just ask us back, there really is no such thing as a silly question in marines and its the simpl,e things that can kill fish, so dont be shy:))
do you have a sump
Do you have a skimmer, if so which one??
what about internal pumps
and most important of all is do you have test kits, if so which ones and have you tested the water parameters?

phew quite a few questions to start off with, but try answer them and then we can try help you and your tank:)

welcome to masa and happy postings:)

oh and enid there are some really good reefers in jhb and some insperational tanks, I know as these are the guys that helped me along so much when i first started out. going to another reefers house and seeing what they do and why is a very good idea, as is joining one of the reef club meetings that get held every now and again:)

Welcome to MASA!!

Welcome top MASA. I'm petrified that you have fish in yuour tank and have been told that you can add another five after a few days. This info is very inaccurate and you should not frequesnt that pet shop where you got that info. Your tank needs to go through what is called a cycle where it grows a biological filter enabling it to sustain life. Take those fish back to the pet store and we will guide you through how to se tup your tank and cycle it properly

Warm welocme to masa. Did you buy your tank new form the pet shop or did you buy a tank that was already on the go?

welcome ................ PICS PLEASE !!!!!!

I bought my tank yesterday and have a total of 5 clown fish and some coral. I was told by the people that came and set up the tank that I can only add more fish in 5 days time.

Welcome

Is this a brand new tank, if so no fish should be in the tank. If it came from an ex-reefer who ran the tank and you added the same water and live rock etc. it is ok.

You will have to tell us if it is a new tank or not before we answer the add 5 fish after 5 day myth / mystery.

Cheers

hello again enid, we really need to know about the history of that tank and how long its been running, its vital for the fish you have in there already..

Back
Top Bottom